Shure SM58S vs. Sennheiser e845S

BRX rad

Which one is better? Reason I'm asking is because I bought the SM58 off of eBay, and was sent the Sennheiser mic instead. I don't really know anything about these mics, are they any better than the SM58's? If so, I'll just keep it. I'm still kind of annoyed by this though... :mad:

Personally I've found the Sennheiser just a bit muddy/lacking in clarity. Nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of judicious EQ but I've found that a SM58 is better..

Personally I've found the Sennheiser just a bit muddy/lacking in clarity. Nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of judicious EQ but I've found that a SM58 is better..

Is it worth sending it back for the Shure though if all it takes is a little bit of EQing?

I much prefer the Sennheiser mics (for live stuff that is), but I would still send it back as you should be get what you paid for. Something is nagging me to suggest that the mics could be fake, which would explain why you got sent the wrong one. Fake '58? Fake 845? Means the same thing to the seller - they've made a profit. I could be completely wrong, but its just this nagging feeling that this is what has happened. What kind of seller was it? Can we have a link to the auction?

Back to the question; I would chose an 845 over an SM58 any day, but if you can stretch to an 865 then IMO they're pretty much the perfect mic for live vocals :) In my experience they really cut through a busy live mix with no EQ needed and sound great. I've only ever really used 845s on backing vox, but they sound almost as good.

Last edited:
I've personally found the opposite of MessianicDreams. Personally I pretty much hate SM58s. They almost always sound muddy to me. The Sennheiser E835s (not sure about the 45s you have) have been much, much better for clarity.

But, this could be due to any number of reasons. Just my experience, though. :)

Brandon

I much prefer the Sennheiser mics (for live stuff that is), but I would still send it back as you should be get what you paid for. Something is nagging me to suggest that the mics could be fake, which would explain why you got sent the wrong one. Fake '58? Fake 845? Means the same thing to the seller - they've made a profit. I could be completely wrong, but its just this nagging feeling that this is what has happened. What kind of seller was it? Can we have a link to the auction?

Back to the question; I would chose an 845 over an SM58 any day, but if you can stretch to an 865 then IMO they're pretty much the perfect mic for live vocals :) In my experience they really cut through a busy live mix with no EQ needed and sound great. I've only ever really used 845s on backing vox, but they sound almost as good.

Thanks man. I really don't think the seller is that kind of person. He's being completely honest with me through the communication we've had, and he's offered solutions to his honest mistake. I've inspected the Sennheiser mic, it's brand new and works perfectly. Rest assured, I think I'll be fine if I keep this mic ;)

Back