Shure SM58 vs Sony ECM-MS907...

Synkrotron

Hi peeps,

I've never posted here before because I know less about mic's than I do about anything else musical :o

I've been relying totally on either a Shure SM58 or SM58Beta for all my mic'ing needs, purely and simply because that's all I have (as a part time gigging band those are the two mic's we have just for that purpose).

However, I also own a Sony ECM-MS907 which I purchased about four years ago to enable me to go out collecting sound samples on my mini disc recorder. I'd pretty much dicounted it for use with anything else but only because I wouldn't have thought it would have been up to much other that what I originally bought it for.

So, my question is...

Which of my alternatives would be better for recordind a) vocals and b) acouscic guitar (or any acoustic instrument)?

I've checked out the specs for the ECM-MS907...

Transducer Electret Condenser

Polar Pattern Unidirectional (x 2) (Directive angles 90/120 degrees-switchable)

Frequency Response 100 Hz - 15 kHz

Dynamic Range (Typical) 81dB

Signal-to-Noise Ratio 65 dB

Maximum Input Sound Level 110 dB, (@ 1 kHz, 1% THD)

Power Requirements Battery AA (1.5v)

Output Impedance 1k Ohms

Output Connectors Stereo (TRS) 1/8" (3.5mm) Mini Plug

Pad None

Low Frequency Roll-Off None

The SM58's go down to 50Hz

Thanks guys :)

I realise now why I got no response to the above question...

The little sony is worse than I thought... very noisy indeed compared to my SM58A. So I'm going to bin the idea and look into buying a half decent condenser mic (whatever one of those is... don't worry... I'll read the FAG thread before I bug you again).

thanks anyway

andy

Back