Shure SM58 Guts

Eluzion

I recently open my SM58 through the screw connector in the middle of the microphone. There are two wires. One yellow, one green. These wires snapped off. Knowing I have to solder them back on to the connector, I'm not exactly sure which wire goes where.

There is a positive terminal. Is anyone familiar with this and the soldering process on this microphone?

GetAttachment1111.jpg

I'd imagine the terminal marked + goes to the same side of the transformer as the wire leading to the positive terminal on the XLR connector, but that's just a guess. Good luck trying to see down inside there to figure that out, though.

Failing that, my gut says they'd wire it like a DC circuit, in which case green is ground/minus and yellow is plus.

The SM58 grounds pin 1 to chassis mechanically, so neither is a ground wire. They are +/- from the capsule to transformer. Just wire 'em back up to that terminal, the worst case is that you will have reversed polarity.

You can't hurt anything by wiring it up 'backwards'. Try it, and then add a second SM58. As you bring the second mic closer to your face, the tone and apparent volume either gets 'bigger' or 'smaller'. If it seems to get 'bigger', you did it right. Any mixer with a headphone jack will do. This way you won't even need a power amp or speakers.

The SM58 grounds pin 1 to chassis mechanically, so neither is a ground wire. They are +/- from the capsule to transformer. Just wire 'em back up to that terminal, the worst case is that you will have reversed polarity.

I didn't mean that either of them was a ground in the mic. I meant that green is a ground in extension cord wiring and similar, so it stood to reason that this would be more likely to be the minus side than the plus side.

i did this once...isnt one of the terminals inked red?? i think that one is hot (+)...

but as posted, iif it dont work, swap the wires and it should

Back