Shure SM57 - needs repair $25

mjbphotos

Wires got yanked - probably an easy repair if you know how!
Never gigged (setting it up for its first gig is when it happened). I bought new, used in the studio for 20-30 hours total. Sorry, no box or vinyl case (the zipper broke on it!).
$25, free shipping

mic1.JPG

mic2.JPG

mic3.JPG

Mike - we can talk you through the fix if you want! It is very easy.

If not ... you have my address send it over.

Here's a pic of the bottom threaded section to the body - looks like the yellow wire has pulled loose here, as well.

Steen thinks this is a fake Shure because he doesn't recognize the top section with red wires?

mic4.JPG

I suck at soldering unless I've got lots of room to do it, and a big blob of solder is ok! (even then, I suck!)
Frankly, at this point, I'd just as soon get rid of it (if I can get a little money), as I don't need it.

What the heck did you do? All those wires off!

The green and yellow wires look right but yeah ... Paul may be right with those red wires - could very well be fake.

attachment.php

Ok, I just watched that video, and the differences shown indicate what I have is not a counterfeit! The top rotates freely - but not loosely. The logo and markings, and the 'c' inside the connector end above the metal thing are there. The vinyl bag (I still have it, but zipper is broken, is the dull leather - not shiny. The grill is not the extra-protruding counterfeit style.

Not sure how the yellow wire came loose, maybe I pulled it accidentally when taking it apart last time. :rolleyes:

That hollow chamber where you have red wires is meant to be occupied by the bulky metal cartridge.
Have a look inside and see where those read wires go.

I should have pointed out, the ones in my pic are genuine.

How do I pull the cartridge assembly out of the top section - the black piece with the red wires sticking out of it came out of the 'middle section', so does look different than what you show, but until I pull that ...

How do I pull the cartridge assembly out of the top section - the black piece with the red wires sticking out of it came out of the 'middle section', so does look different than what you show, but until I pull that ...

Well, it's a little tricky but the sinning top comes off. There's a circlip in there that holds it in place.
You shouldn't need to remove that to prove authenticity though.

If you were to take a good 57 and split it by unscrewing it in the middle, you'd see the little board where the yellow and green wires solder on.
If you removed the wires and the little nut, the board will lift off.
That'll reveal a very short amount of threaded bar and the back of the solid metal capsule assembly.

In the fakes I've seen the threaded bar is much longer and the majority of the head chamber is hollow.
I don't have one open to check, but I'm pretty sure the threaded bar shouldn't even separate from the metal capsule.

Rather than messing with it anymore, I put it up on Ebay for $14.97 starting bid, plenty of caveats ... got at least 2 people keeping their eyes on it.

Hopefully the guy pays - I've had a few sales on ebay where the buyer never does. Open a case, keep it open for a few weeks, they never pay, close the case and get the ebay charge refunded.

Back