Shure SM48 VS MXL 990

JoeyNukes

I know ones a dynamic and the others a condenser, but are they good for different things or are is one better than the other? Or which is the better buy?

I know ones a dynamic and the others a condenser, but are they good for different things or are is one better than the other? Or which is the better buy?

Idk about the sm48, but since they are different in regards of type...they'd presumably be better for different applications...LCD = good for vocals/some accoustic guitar stuff. Dynamics = good for...mostly everything else. I have the 990, and i've used it for a lot of different things. Its okay with every application i use it with, its nothing too special though. Alright with vocals with proper EQ, good for guitar ambience, even some right on guitar cab micing...used it as a single overhead for a band, and it came out alright.

The 990 isn't a large diaphragm... I think it measures 3/4". Not that the smaller diameter should make it a better or worse purchase idea, I just wanted to clarify.

But in terms of opinions, what are you looking to record? I found I outgrew the 990 in use on just about everything rather quickly. I would probably recommend starting out with a Studio Projects B1 or an MXL V67, but they are a bit more money. Search around the site :)

Well acoustic guitar and vocals mostly. Possibly even drums.

I'm looking for something that will put out a decent volume, and can pick up a broad range of volumes. The mic I have now is some Audio-Technica dynamic mic and its terrible. It doesn't pick up much and anything it does pick up overdrives and clips.

Are you looking at the MXL 990/991 combo? Because the 990 is just okay, but the 991 is actually really nice.

Alright nevermind my last post, but since the 991 uses phantom power, which I hear have problems with XLR to 1/4in adapters, is there something extra I need to buy so that it doesn't sound awful?

The 990 uses phantom power, too -- I got that combo -- the 991 is useful - very high output, but I can't do anything with the 990 - except maybe simulate being trapped in a cardboard box. Without phantom power, condenser mics don't sound awful - they just don't sound at all.

What are you plugging it into? If you don't have phantom power, I think you can buy a battery powered inline unit for 10 or 20 bucks, but I don't know what that would do to your sound - never used one (actually, I just did a web search, and they were all coming out to around $50). I'd probably just stick with a dynamic mic if your budget is low, because later you'll probably get an interface or mixer that provides phantom power, anyway. Never used the SM48 -- I have spent less than $50 on a) a really beat up but functional used SM58, b) a *new* grill ball (don't skip this important step! there's lots of spittle on the old ones) and c) a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol to wipe it down with. You could then sing into it, and take the grill off to record the acoustic.

I can't find any decent deals on SM58s on craigslist or ebay so I guess I'll have to use the SM48. But powered mics don't do well with 1/4inch adapters I hear, is this true? Cause' I'd like to use a condenser, since they pick up more sound.

Where are you plugging the 1/4 into? Do you have a preamp? I recommend you get a real mic preamp with phantom power so you can use condensers in the future, even if you decide to get an SM48 now.

I understand the whole need to be money conscious and all ... but if it comes down to the sm48 and the 991 ... why don't you just buy both of them, and sell the one you don't like as much?

I mean ... if you somehow can't swing that, then you really don't need to buying any mics at all.

Back