Shure sm-7b

Guernica

Anybody had any experience w/ this? If so, how does it differ from the sm-57,58's? I read that Hetfield, Anita Baker, and a few others used it for lead vocs (actually, i think it was the sm-7), ....did a little reading, and i like what it seems theyre selling............

.....thanks

giraffe said:
search function.

...helpful, ......thanks :rolleyes:

......Im looking for comparisons w/ the sm57-58's. The sm-7b goes for around 3 and a half bones, and am curious in what way it differs from those two mic's.

thanks

sorry.
it's discussed often here.... i don't have one but the genral concensus seems to be that it's a very good mic that you will never out grow, and is well worth the asking price.
it is not like th 57\58
i heard of people useing it on vox, elect git, acu git, and some horns with good results.
genral concesus is that it's not that hot on bass instruments.

it's output is apperantly kinda low (needs a lot of gain)

thanks.... by "not like sm57-58's", what do you mean? Ive dug through search and havent heard any differences mentioned "tonally". Im just wondering if its brighter, with more emphasis on mids, more articulate, etc.

thanks

It is a large diaphram dynamic mic. It's main purpose was in radio, people use it interchangablely with an RE-20 for voiceover work. The big deal is that it doesn't suffer from proximity effect.

Farview said:
It is a large diaphram dynamic mic. It's main purpose was in radio, people use it interchangablely with an RE-20 for voiceover work. The big deal is that it doesn't suffer from proximity effect.

The RE-20 doesn't have proximity effect. The SM-7 shure does.

Get it? "Shure does"? Ha!

It's a great all purpose mic that you can get right on top of without excess proximity effect. As previously mentioned, it was originally sold to the broadcast industry, I think as an attempted "replacement" for the RE-20. Very good on vocals and guitars. Pretty even sounding with presence (IMHO). Needs a preamp with some gain though. The 7b is the current model with a better mount and better shielding. I think the EQ switches are slightly different as well. There's lots of info on the web about this mic and the differences between the 7, 7a and 7b. I have an older SM7 and it gets lots of use, often in preference to other more expensive mics.

The SM7B is simply one of the best single element, large diaphragm dynamic mics on the market, along with the likes of EV RE20 and Sennheiser MD441, both of which are more expensive than the Shure. I use the SM7B for voiceovers, some vocals, guitar cabs, and hand percussion, especially Djembe. The big surprise is- it is simply the best live vocal mic I have ever used. It's low proximity effect and relatively low output make it one of the most feedback resistant suckers I have ever used. It has become my go-to live stage mic. If you own one, and you've never plugged it into your PA- do it.-Richie

giraffe said:
genral concesus is that it's not that hot on bass instruments.
I know of a few pretty high profile engineers that use the SM7 as the go to mic for bass cab.
I'd have to say the SM7 is awsome on bass!

nothing i say about this mic (or any other for that reason) is law or anything, that's just what i've heard.
i've also heard of people that like it on bass...... i've just heard from more people that don't.

Well, the unsigned negative rep asshole has struck again. Would you believe he gave me negstive rep for the post above? For the record- go suck off a goat, asshole.-Richie

Back