Shure/senn. mics on toms...

jkokura

I've got 57's that I use for some tom work, along with an MD421 for my low toms, but I'm interested in finding some new mics that will work better, take up less room, etc.

So how do the Shure tom mics work? The PG56 or the Beta 56? What about the Sennheiser e604's? I know what 57's are like and I know what MD421's are like, and I've also used my M201tg and e609 on toms with less satisfaction than the 57's... Tell me what you think of those shures and senns...

Jacob

Havent used the e604s but just used my MD504s (about the same mic, I think)for the first time in years last week. When I first used them they just didnt do it for me, but that couldve been a pre or room problem. For the hell of it, I threw them on my toms, but had a rightous pre behind them this time.They sounded,.... close to a 57, just less obstructive. Cant say they were any better or worse.

At school it's pretty much the norm to clip on senn. e604's of course ther are other mics we could try but it seems we always reach for those on toms. I'd like to try one of those dynamic neumann broadcast mics on the floor tom and the kick I bet they would sound killer.

boingoman said:
Beta56=Beta57

Same mic, different body.

Really? From what I understand though, that can make a large difference (Harvey's Thread, other research). The body of the mic affects the way the diapraghm picks up sound.

Any other info?

Jacob

jkokura said:
Really? From what I understand though, that can make a large difference (Harvey's Thread, other research). The body of the mic affects the way the diapraghm picks up sound.

Any other info?

Jacob

Hmm....the guys at Shure told me it was the same capsule as the Beta57, that the two were basically interchangeable. As far as the body goes, it is pretty much just a short Beta57. I gotta admit, I assumed this would make them pretty much the same. Their response charts do vary a bit, the 56 rises a bit quicker in the low end and not as far in the highs. :)

ps- they sound pretty good on toms. They are very tight patterned. And pretty heavy for their size.

I LOVE my E604's. I ithnk they give a very good representation of the drum's sound. So, if the drums aren't tuned well, they still dont much help that, but really I tihnk for toms they sound better than a 57. I kinda prefer the 57 on the snare still though. I just tend to like the sound better there. But yeah, I like the 604's.

Back