Shure PGDMK4 Package

velvetomatoe

Hey everyone, I'm just getting into recording drums. I have a home studio and I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5, an M-Audio Delta 1010Lt and a Yamaha Mixer. I was looking into purchasing this for doing some drum recording in addition to using some ADK Condensers as overheads. The package includes a Shure PG52, and 3 PG56 mics. Here's the link to it on Shure's webpage The package runs about $250-$300. I was wondering if this is a good deal to get a nice sound for drums. I'm not looking to spend $800 right now as I realize I will spend more than that for high quality mics (aka the Beta 52 among others) in the future when I can afford it. Right now what I'm looking for is a decent quality sound that won't clip/distort (which is my main problem with my current mic situation) Any opinions on this would be greatly considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Kevin~

why buy double?? (pg52 and then beta52)

whats your current set up?? mics shouldnt clip/distort if you use them well

Right now it's pretty minimal. I have an ADK A-51 Type V, an ADK SC-1, and an Audio Technica AE4100. I was looking around the Shure site a bit more and I think I might just spring the extra few bucks and go with the DMK57-52 kit. It seems more practical since I want to eventually buy the Beta 52, and you can never have enough SM57's. Any thoughts?

The drummer in my band bought the DMK57-52 kit. He got it from Guitar Center for about $300. We had a connection there who would give us deals at cost (he'd even show us on the computer how low he could go). For $300, I think it's an excellent deal. Three brand new 57s alone at retail would cost nearly that much.

However, I'm not crazy about 57s on toms. I'm not an old pro and I haven't used thousands of different mics and pres on toms. Maybe it's the pres I'm using (usually all I have left for toms are Yamaha MG mixer pres), but the toms don't seem to have much life. They don't sound bad. They just don't sound great.

I have an MD421 that I use on snare and I love how it sounds. If I had two or three more, I'd use MD421s on the toms. Lately, I've been using an ATM25 for the low tom, 57s on the two rack toms, and the other 57 goes on the bottom of the snare.

Again, my impression of the SM57 sounding a little lifeless on the toms may be due to the pres I'm using (and my lack of skill as an engineer). But, if you are going for a "killer" tom/drum sound, the 57s are not the best choice IMO. If all you are looking for is "a decent quality sound that won't clip/distort," then the SM57s will work great for you!

As for the Beta 52, I _really_ like that mic on the kick. Better than my ATM25.

Hope that helps!

yeah 57's are ok, better than the pg56
and then you can go for a beta52 or d112 for kick

what will you use for overheads?? (maybe you already mentioned them, i just don know about those mics)

Scottgman said:
The drummer in my band bought the DMK57-52 kit. He got it from Guitar Center for about $300. We had a connection there who would give us deals at cost (he'd even show us on the computer how low he could go). For $300, I think it's an excellent deal. Three brand new 57s alone at retail would cost nearly that much.

However, I'm not crazy about 57s on toms. I'm not an old pro and I haven't used thousands of different mics and pres on toms. Maybe it's the pres I'm using (usually all I have left for toms are Yamaha MG mixer pres), but the toms don't seem to have much life. They don't sound bad. They just don't sound great.

I have an MD421 that I use on snare and I love how it sounds. If I had two or three more, I'd use MD421s on the toms. Lately, I've been using an ATM25 for the low tom, 57s on the two rack toms, and the other 57 goes on the bottom of the snare.

Again, my impression of the SM57 sounding a little lifeless on the toms may be due to the pres I'm using (and my lack of skill as an engineer). But, if you are going for a "killer" tom/drum sound, the 57s are not the best choice IMO. If all you are looking for is "a decent quality sound that won't clip/distort," then the SM57s will work great for you!

As for the Beta 52, I _really_ like that mic on the kick. Better than my ATM25.

Hope that helps!

have you ever tried an sm57 on snare and the md521 on toms??

MemoGtr said:
have you ever tried an sm57 on snare and the md521 on toms??

Yes, I have tried the MD421 on toms. But I only have one and I like to use it on the snare. Like I said in my previous post, if I had 2 or 3 more 421s, I'd use them on the toms instead of the 57s.

I have also tried a 57 on the snare many times in many different positions (on top, on the side, on the bottom and many variations in between). I definitely like the 421 better than a 57 with this particular snare/room/drummer/music.

velvetomatoe said:
Hey everyone, I'm just getting into recording drums. I have a home studio and I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5, an M-Audio Delta 1010Lt and a Yamaha Mixer. I was looking into purchasing this for doing some drum recording in addition to using some ADK Condensers as overheads. The package includes a Shure PG52, and 3 PG56 mics. Here's the link to it on Shure's webpage The package runs about $250-$300. I was wondering if this is a good deal to get a nice sound for drums. I'm not looking to spend $800 right now as I realize I will spend more than that for high quality mics (aka the Beta 52 among others) in the future when I can afford it. Right now what I'm looking for is a decent quality sound that won't clip/distort (which is my main problem with my current mic situation) Any opinions on this would be greatly considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Kevin~

Hey... I got that set for 170 on ebay and I know you can get it for cheaper. I think it's totally worth it as long as you spring for an SM 57 or something comparable on snare. I also think it's worth it to get drumagog (a sampling program) for your kick. Your snare and kick are going to be the most important elements of your drum sound and with an sm 57 and the sampled pg52 you should be good... all for pretty cheap. IM me for samples.

When I can afford it, I'm going to get a stereo pair of MXL603's for overheads. Till then I'm just gonna use the large diaphragm ADK as a room mic to pick up the overhead space. Not as efficient but what can you do?

As far as the sm57 on toms go, I realize the sennheiser md421's are better but I can't really afford $350/per right now. Is there any ground between that's cheaper but sound better than the 57's? I'm open to any and all suggestions right now before I spring a ton of cash and end up unsatisfied with regret. Thanks in advance.

Post Thought: Any thoughts on the Sennheiser E604's?

~Kevin~

Back