Shure PG81s

c0r1n

Why does everyone seem to hate these mics? Picked up a pair for $99 each last week, and, with the gain up, they sound like what my drums sound like in the room. They seem nicely transparent to my ears. Am I missing something?

c0r1n said:
Why does everyone seem to hate these mics? Picked up a pair for $99 each last week, and, with the gain up, they sound like what my drums sound like in the room. They seem nicely transparent to my ears. Am I missing something?

I used to have 4 SM94s which seem via specs to be pretty similar. They were fine, but they don't really have the high end response usually associated with condensers.

c0r1n said:
The PG series is a "budget" version of the SM series.... and they pretty much sound like it!

To start with, I'm sure they'll be fine, until your ears develop more and more over time....

In comparison to Shure's well-proven SM81:

PG81
fPG81_large.gif

SM81
fSM81_large.gif

That right there is the difference. Notice the PG81's high frequency hump where the SM81 stays nearly ruler-flat. Notice that the PG81's highs start sloping off at about 11KHz, while the SM81 doesn't start dropping until about 16KHz. At 20KHz, the PG81 is at about -6dB, while the SM81 is only at about -3dB. At 40Hz, the PG81 is at -7dB while the SM81 is at about -1dB.

Overall, the SM81 maintains a much flatter, more accurate response with a much wider usable sensitivity range than the PG81. A less technical description is that the SM81 can go both higher and lower and with greater accuracy than the PG81.

(Images courtesy of Shure's website)

Thanks, but...

I looked at all that before I picked them up, so I understand what the differences are on paper. I am looking for thoughts from people who have actually used them. Anyone?

Not impressed with PG81

I have a PG81 I am trying to use with a TubePre Preamplifier and a Delta66 Sound card for my PC. I want to record my Yamaha G7 grand piano and it sounds terrible. I think it would be OK for voice or something but it does not begin to sound like my piano. It sound like it's in a box or something, I don't know, anyway I don't like it.

I've tried everything I can think of with no improvement (I've been able to make it sound worse though)

Not impressed.

My next question is, what mike should I be looking at to make my piano actually sound like itself?

I'll ask in a new thread so I don't hijack this one.

ramjet said:
I have a PG81 I am trying to use with a TubePre Preamplifier and a Delta66 Sound card for my PC. I want to record my Yamaha G7 grand piano and it sounds terrible. I think it would be OK for voice or something but it does not begin to sound like my piano. It sound like it's in a box or something, I don't know, anyway I don't like it.

I've tried everything I can think of with no improvement (I've been able to make it sound worse though)

Not impressed.

My next question is, what mike should I be looking at to make my piano actually sound like itself?

I'll ask in a new thread so I don't hijack this one.

The PG81 should be somewhat better than terrible on piano. First, I wouldn't recommend a TubePre for grand piano. That will just muddy up the highs, and probably the mids, and maybe the lows ;)

Second, you gotta tell us 1) what your room is like and 2) where you placed the mic. Those are likely the biggest issues.

In response to the earlier post, I have owned the SM94, SM81, and KSM141. They all sound like their curves, so I expect the PG81 does too. However curves alone are not indicative of quality, nor is flatness always desirable.

c0r1n said:

For a little more money, I'd suggest the AT ATM33a (cardiod pattern). I also use the omni version of the ATM, which is ruler flat and sells for $99 +

The PG is a microphone intended for public address and karaoke systems. Two of the things that you are looking for in such a mic are less handling noise and feedback rejection while mostly focusing on the frequency range of human voice. That explains why there is the reduced response at the low and high ends. Add in Shure's reputation for durability (also desired in PA and Karaoke systems) and you have a great mic for what it was designed for.

Back