Shure PG81 condenser for vocals?

Nico2112

I usually record my vocals using an SM57 + pop screen, and I'm just curious.

Can you record vocals using a PG81 small diaphragm condenser?

Has somebody done it, and if so, what were the results?

Thanks.

Can you do it? Certainly. Should you? Maybe. If I were in your shoes and was using an sm57 then i would certainly give it a try. Personally, I am not a big fan of the PG81's, but that is what you already have so if you are not going to go get a different mic, for that matter, even if you are, I would give it a try and see how it goes for you:)

Yup, I guess I can give it a try.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a large diaphragm condenser, such as the AKG Perception 200, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Is there a HUGE difference in between tracking vocals with a dynamic mic and a LDC?

You see, I'm a drummer, and mainly my main goal was getting a good quality drum sound. I'm really happy with what I'm getting right now, and with my guitars and bass too; but my voice sucks big time...:rolleyes::)lol. Maybe that's why I haven't really decided on upgrading to a quality vocal mic. Besides, here in my country, you can't buy a LDC, since the local stores don't stock them. I would have to buy it online, and the shipping costs + taxes to bring it down here are just obscene.

Thanks for your comment.

Cheers!

Is there a HUGE difference in between tracking vocals with a dynamic mic and a LDC?
To ask that question is to assume that all dynamics an all LDCs sound pretty much the same. They don't. What matters is not so much the way the microphone is built as the way that it sounds. There are some LDCs that sound really sweet on vocals and some that sound cheap and brittle. Likewise there are some dynamics that sound really nice on vocals, and others that sound like toys.

I'm not sure why they don't sell LDCs in El Salvador; maybe it's the humidity? Or some trade bans on Chinese goods? Either way, you might want to check into a couple of LDDs (large diameter dynamics) that are pretty good for voice. Check into (in my order of preference) the ElectroVoice RE-20 or the Shure SM7b. Not only can they sound just as good as many condensers in the same price range, they are good workhorse mics for just about anything from drums to guitar to horns.

G.

The reason for our local stores not carrying LDC's is simple: there are only a few professional recording studios here (which are not pro if you compare them to the ones in developed countries), and they imported all of their gear, mixing desks, software, mics, stands, etc.
They only stock cheap mics, and only the models that sell quick (you wouldn't beleive how small and poorly stocked our stores are...frustrating)...oh well, I'm used to it!

You're right, I've read a lot of good things about both, the Electrovoice RE-20 and the Shure SM7b; as you can figure, those aren't offered down here as well; so maybe I'll wait until I travel so I can test some nice vocal mics and bring them home.

Thanks a lot for your comment Glen:)

Cheers!

Back