Shure MV7 and Se Electronics Reflexion Pro

DenverGuy

I have a room that is too live-sounding. I bought a monstrous so-called "portable" sound booth, but returned it. I bought a Kaotica Eyeball but will return it when it arrives. I have heard some bad reviews about how it muffles the sound quality. I just received an SE Electronics Reflexion Filter Pro and am trying to figure out how to use it. (The instructions are terrible).
Will this mic stand work? If not, what kind do I need? Do I keep this one and use a second one for the Reflexion? This has gotten really frustrating.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240121_064400.jpg
    20240121_064400.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-01-21 095559.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 095559.png
    258.1 KB · Views: 7
I have a room that is too live-sounding. I bought a monstrous so-called "portable" sound booth, but returned it. I bought a Kaotica Eyeball but will return it when it arrives. I have heard some bad reviews about how it muffles the sound quality. I just received an SE Electronics Reflexion Filter Pro and am trying to figure out how to use it. (The instructions are terrible).
Will this mic stand work? If not, what kind do I need? Do I keep this one and use a second one for the Reflexion? This has gotten really frustrating.
Thanks.
Are you doing podcasts or recording music? From what I can tell an ordinary mic boom will work. If you are doing podcasts I couldn't say except it would block your display.

Are you doing podcasts or recording music? From what I can tell an ordinary mic boom will work. If you are doing podcasts I couldn't say except it would block your display.
Sorry - I forgot to mention that this is for voiceover work.

Are you talking about the Boom Arm mic stand? If you are that won't work very well at all - see my photos on how it attaches - and as @Eric V said it blocs your everything in front of it - so if you need a monitor to read that's out of the question.

Attachments

• IMG_0319 2.jpeg
    IMG_0319 2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
I will be using one monitor for the script and another for Audacity. What I might do is remove the right monitor and just set the Reflexion there and position the mic in front of it - not using all that hardware. I'll give that a shot.

The problem with all these things is that they do little to tame low frequencies but do prevent sound from the sides and rear reaching the back of the mic. Mounting wise, they're heavy so a floor standing mic stand is pretty essential. The boom arm springs won't hold the weight of the mic and the screen. In real terms you could do the same thing by hanging a duvet behind the mic - or more usefully, behind your hear. In most untreated rooms imagine the mic is a torch(flashlight?), your silhouette on the wall is where the mic is capturing the sound from, but it also captures the sound from where the light is visible. A duvet, behind you soaks up the higher frequencies bouncing back from the walls. with headphones on you can adjust the distance from lips to mic, to give the best sound timbre, and reduce the room sound. However - doing both those well is tricky.I have one of those things, and I used it once and boxed it back up - in the room I had, it was totally useless.

Lots of my money earning projects are deadly dull and have announcements between sections like "MT31A - 127968 - recorded on 3rd January 2024" - and as the actual content is assembled in the office, not the studio which is 30 ft or so away - I used to get fed up walking there with the piece of paper, reading it, reading it again because I messed up, and then going back to the office computer. I had the idea of sticking a mic on the desk, on an arm - much easier. The office has hard walls, and big double glazed window to the car park, railway line and crossing. In fairness the trains passing are quite quiet inside, but the beeping siren is audible and in pauses between words it could be heard - plus, the acoustics sound unpleasant. It's an office! I bought one of the screens and tried all sorts of mics in it. The hope was that the foam would be in the path of the beeping. The rumble is quite low frequency, so I figured that was an EQ thing. I tried all the obvious mics, then tried to use shotguns - all failed. I had a huge pile of mics and they'd all failed (the screen got dumped very quickly). It clicked that video folk often use an old rule - don't use shotguns indoors - because of the reflections and other room problems. As the mics were all laying around, I made a quick youtube video on that subject. If you're interested in how different mics work in my office and what they all sound like here's the video. It might not help the OP hugely, but the sounds captured are quite memorable if they hit you in the future.

The problem with all these things is that they do little to tame low frequencies but do prevent sound from the sides and rear reaching the back of the mic.
I trim out anything below 130 hz in vocals - the screens have never been an issue for me.

However - doing both those well is tricky.I have one of those things, and I used it once and boxed it back up - in the room I had, it was totally useless.
I've had the opposite experience with mine - on my Daughters vocals it is stellar - my rooms not well treated - maybe I just got lucky - but I don't thinks so.

I'm not doing voiceovers, just crude singing in my bedroom studio. I had thought about trying one of these screens, but first I'm experimenting with what I have on hand. I wedge a 3ft x 4ft x 3-in slab of Rockwool Safe'n'Sound into a 45° corner between the room's door and the adjacent wall it's hinged to. The Rockwool forms a wide U-shape as it's pushed into the corner. Seems to be doing a pretty good job, especially as noisy as the room gets with outside neighborhood noises.

I set up an AT2020 XLR mic on a standard floor boom inside the corner space with the mic's back toward the inner corner.

vocal mic 2.jpg

I reckon your solution is perfectly valid - if you wrap it, and chrome plate it, and hype it up - people will buy it. Those screens are just a bit of foam in a frame - not special.

Back