Shure Ksm32

They're quite neutral too...you can print tracks practically until the cows come home with these, and not have much of any objecitonable "mike-goo" piling up in the mix. Very versatile. Not much character really, but sometimes that's what the doctor ordered. I really like these.

TP

Although my mic cabinet is not impressive (KSM32, AT4047, C3000, MXL67's, and various Shure, AKG and CAD dynamic mic's) I can say the KSM32 is my best mic - I can use it for just about every application (although the AT4047 can "warm up" a vocal better than the KSM32)

I got a good price on the KSM32 - since the KSM44 was about to come out, so for the price I paid it is absolutely the "best bang for my buck" - but I would still be happy with the sound if I would have paid the original price.

Like the AT4050 this mic and the ksm44 are great sounding basically neutral mics all cut from the same cloth. There is a scoop and some sizzle, its not flat from 20-20k but they do sound good on just about everything. Acoustic, overheads, vocals, etc...

hmm

The KSM32 is an electret mic, but the 27 and 44 are both externally biased..so I'd probably go with the 27 over the 32, even tho it costs less..and I've read that people appreciate the sound of the 27 over the 32 also. Anyone know why Shure would make the middle model electret but the other 2 not?

-Sal

Just guessing, but probably because the 32 was the first of the series manufactured, (followed by the 44 and then the 27). I'm assuming the decision was made based on experimentation and evaluation by their R&D department.

Since we're talking about neutral-sounding mics, has anyone compared the ksm32 or 27 to a Marshal V93? Aren't those supposed to be pretty neutral too? I'm wondering if anyone who's used the 93 and one of the Shures can comment on preferences when a neutral sound is needed.

Back