Shure KSM32

HFFritz

I am considering the purchase of a Shure KSM32 for general home studio use: vocals, acoustic instruments, percussion, etc.

It would essentially be my only mic, as the other that I have is a cheap Radio Shack. I thought that I would run it up the homerecording.com flagpole before I make the purchase in case there are any definite opinions out there.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I'd Sure Say

If you don't already own 1 or 2 Shure SM-57s, I say buy those FIRST.

Yes, the Shure KSM32 is a nice mic to consider. However, I do recommend you go to your local pro audio dealer and give a listen to it AND others in the same AND below price ranges; if you can.

Of course, there are quite a few others to consider that you don't typically find at your local dealer too. So, I also suggest you browse around this forum and its archives by using this place's search engine and get a "feel" for what people are liking/using.

By the way, what type of music will you usually record?

I own a KSM32 (among various other condensor and dynamic mikes)and I feel it is the best Mike I have purchased to date. However, I agree with Recording Engineer, that SM57's (or 58's) may be a better interim step for you. Keep in mind the KSM32 does need phantom power, whereas the 57's or 58's do not.

Good advice, RE. I guess I should have an SM57 or two in the arsonal, but I hate buying things over and over again. After some time with the $89 SM57, won't I yearn for something better? Something in the $300-$500 range? The idea of going out to the stores and trying different mics doesn't appeal to me since I'm not a singer (I use vocals to separate the guitar solos).

In regards to the type of music, it's pretty straight up stuff: electric guitar blues/ballads with drums, bass, keyboards and acoustic guitar or mandolin in the background. Sometimes some older covers. Minimal effects.

One day I hope to get some of it up to this forum for some feedback.

the beauty is, you'll always use your 57's...They have their use. You may not like how a condensor sounds on your guitar cab, but will love the 57..and vice versa. So I would go pick up some 57's. I know I'll get reamed for this one, but please dont buy an NT-1, it seems to be a popular mic here. but in my opinion, it's not as good as people think. (again, my opinion, take it for what you will).

ametth

yeh me too.i'd go with the shure 57 and\or 58 for starters unless you have unlimited funds,never mind i forgot i was talking to musicians for a minute there.

The KSM is a nice mic, however I would tend to lean toward a multi-pattern in that price range. I have used the KSM and it is nice for the price. I would also have to have another then for omni or fig 8.

KSM44

Actually Shure is releasing a new mic called the KSM44 which has 3 directional patterns (go to shure.com for more details). I believe it sells for $680 right now - and KSM32 just dropped $50 in price because of it.

I've been trying to find info on that thing. Cool. Thanks/

It must have just shown up on Shure's site.

Back