Shure KSM27...Yay or Nay?

Carny1122

Plugin Whore
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a Shure KSM27 (well, one of a few mics I'm looking at). I'm a poor college kid :( on a budget of about $300, and this mic is looking somewhat promising...I want to know, however, if it's suitable for a variety of things. I'd be using it for acoustic guitar, vocals, and possibly a drum overhead, guitar cab (I already have an e609, do you think it would mesh well?), kick drum, etc, etc. I've also looked into the Rode NT-1's. What would be the best bet for an overall decent mic for a project studio for around $300? Also, if it is a yay, not a nay, any recommendations on cheap but decent preamps?

Hi,
I have had a pair of ksm-27's for a while now and I like them very much. I originally purchased them with a pair of drum overheads in mind and they work well for that. I have used them on vocals and mic'd guitar cabs with great results as well. Don't think I ever tried them on acoustic guitar as I have some akg blue line small condensers that are normally my go to ac guitar mic. Can't really recommend any cheap mic pre's. Save your money and buy something good. Your mic's will love it and you'll be ahead of the game in the long run. Regards, Dave

ps. the ksm27 uses basically the same guts as it's more expensive brother the ksm44. Just fixed pattern instead of multi pattern. I got that right off the Shure website. Lot's of good info there on micing techniques.

Hey, thanks Dave. I do intend to use them a good bit for drum overheads. I've got a pair of CAD pencil condensers (hey, they were free) that I use now and just...ugh. All I can say...But I am looking forward to getting the KSM27. A buddy of mine at the local Guitar Center mentioned to me a while back about a new mic that basically has the identical guts as a U87, but is around $500-600. I don't know what it is, but I imagine there would be a lot more hype about it if it was identical to a U87 at a fraction of the cost. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

i've had one experience with the ksm27 (on banjo) and was somewhat underwhelmed. it seems it's got some scooped mids going on (or maybe it's just a high-end bump?), which was not what the banjo needed. most definitely the wrong mic for the source, but it belonged to the banjo player and he seemed to want to use it so i did......

i would probably spring for an AT 4033 (or 4040) before i bought a ksm27. actually, what i'd *really* suggest is tracking down an old mxl V77.

cheers,
wade

AT is definitely a better choice for versatility. I had a KSM 27 and was not impressed. It would have a specific use, I'm sure, but I would not describe it as "versatile"..... but it was better than any of the Chinese budget condensors out there.

If I were you, I'd look into the Audio Technica AT line of mics. Or even the Shure KSM44. You can find either one of these used in your price range. The KSM44 is surprisingly pretty nice. And the Audio Technica mics are just a "put them on anything" kind of mic.

but it was better than any of the Chinese budget condensors out there.
i'd say that's a pretty broad generalization. my V77 is the epitome of versatile. i have yet to find a source that it doesn't at least do a decent job on, and it excels at just about anything i throw at it. i could probably record an entire album with nothing but V77's and be pretty darn happy about the end result.

i'd be hard pressed to say that about too many other mics.

but yeah, in general, i'd agree with you. :D

cheers,
wade

If you want versatility, then you should have a look at it's sibling, the ksm32. Or an Audio Technica.

Back