Shure KSM27 trouble.

h i p h o p

Had Mic on standby when all of a sudden it poped and started sending static to the mixer (DMP3). The static goes all the way down when i turn phantom power off, but either way it doesn't even pick up my vocals, when PP is on or off...It was working fine the first 2 weeks. I tried changing cords, looked at most settings, and couldn't figure it out...anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like a capacitor probably blew in the phantom side of the mic. You're probably not getting any current to the diaphragm. Any funny smell coming out of it?

It was all messed up last week, but then all of a sudden it started working again for a couple hours...next day i went to record and it started to do it again, and since then it's only picking up static and no vocals.

I agree with Phil - sounds like a capacitor. After they break down they sometimes recover overnight but break down progressively quicker each time until they stop working. Call a geek.

It was all messed up last week, but then all of a sudden it started working again for a couple hours...next day i went to record and it started to do it again, and since then it's only picking up static and no vocals.

Either a cold solder joint on a wire, component or connector. It should be under warranty, but if not I would bet it would be easy to find the problem and resolder. Components very rarely go bad. It is 99% of the time workmanship issues with electronics especially in high volume manufacturing.

Either a cold solder joint on a wire, component or connector. It should be under warranty, but if not I would bet it would be easy to find the problem and resolder. Components very rarely go bad. It is 99% of the time workmanship issues with electronics especially in high volume manufacturing.

The KSMs use all SMT parts, even the electro caps. Not impossible to repair, but not for the faint of heart.

Shure repair has an excellent reputation; even if not under warranty, I'd send it there. But first, I'd toss it in a Ziploc bag with a big bag of silica gel for a few days.

Make sure you test it on someone else's mixer/system and see if it does the same thing. You have to be sure it isn't your mixer or your phantom power going bad.

The KSMs use all SMT parts, even the electro caps. Not impossible to repair, but not for the faint of heart.

Shure repair has an excellent reputation; even if not under warranty, I'd send it there. But first, I'd toss it in a Ziploc bag with a big bag of silica gel for a few days.

Sorry, you are right. We deal with SMT parts all day long. I forget that DIY may not be able to repair this knid of thing.

Back