shure BG 1.0 ?

trebles

Today i was out an about looking at old junk shops for bits and pieces when i can across a shure mic with its bag :) its a shure BG1.0 dynamic dual z OK I know it aint no top line mic but for 12.50usd it was brand new so i could not leave it ive looked for info on this mic but as close as ive got is a shure bg1.1 does anyone know anything about this mic

What id like to know is what use can this be put to if any?

constructive coments welcomed :)

on further looking for info it seems this mic was superseeded by the bg1.1 but heres something intresting to note and this isright from the shure knowledge base they were making comparasion between the bg series and the sm57 and 58 heres what they say

Do the SM58 and SM57 mics have the same frequency response curves? Is a 58 simply a 57 with an integral pop filter/windscreen?

The SM58 and SM57 do use the same cartridge. The grill, though, does effect the frequency response to some extent. At a distance, the difference is probably not noticable. But at extremely close distances, the difference is noticeable. Due to the grill, a person's mouth can get closer to the diaphragm of an SM57, thus causing more proximity effect and increased bass when compared to the SM58.

now if this is true cnsidering what i paid that aint a bad find at all

trebles said:
on further looking for info it seems this mic was superseeded by the bg1.1

Gee, d'ya think? :eek:

What do the differences between the SM57/58 have to do with a BG1.0?

What, what's that trebles? You just can come to terms with the fact that you bought a twelve dollar piece of crap?

Oh, OK.

i can live with it for 12 dollars after all its nothing like their other mics but why would they use the same insert this is what im wanting to find out dolemite

hmmmmm thought i might add this there was a recording done that was put up on bbs some time ago for many to listen to alot of people guessed all sorts of mics and expensive pres were being used guess what it was a pc monitor mic and all you guys were fooled so there you go that does prove that technique does matter more then equipment but hey who was to know nobody guessed and i was told all about this ahhhhh it was an australian as well who did this so whats that show you?

Dude...are you on crack tonight? Punctuation keys broken? ;)

why would they use the same insert this is what im wanting to find out dolemite

What same insert? You mean the same .pdf for the low-z and dual-z versions? Well, I couldn't say whether the impedence change would change the response and other specs, but I doubt most people who are buying a mic to plug into a 1/4" jack are too interested in such things.

hmmmmm thought i might add this there was a recording done that was put up on bbs some time ago for many to listen to alot of people guessed all sorts of mics and expensive pres were being used guess what it was a pc monitor mic and all you guys were fooled so there you go that does prove that technique does matter more then equipment but hey who was to know nobody guessed and i was told all about this ahhhhh it was an australian as well who did this so whats that show you?

Keep telling yourself that!

Just think, that $12 could have bought you a nice steak or a blowjob from a toothless vagrant. :(

"Dolemite"

It was stated in Shures knowledge base, that the mic ive been talking about, shares the same cartridge as the 57 an 58 models.

So whats the difference then ?

hmmmmm this is what ive been trying to ask.

And yes i do know this is a solid mounted cartridge unlike the other models in question.

So lets start again.

If the mic in question the bg1.0, or bg1.1 share the same cartridge as the sm57, and 58 what the difference then?

I hope that was 10/10 this time and a gold star as well.:cool:

ask John Sayers if its possible to record something good with a crap mic Dolemite see what he tells you:)

trebles said:
It was stated in Shures knowledge base, that the mic ive been talking about, shares the same cartridge as the 57 an 58 models.

I'm not seeing that.

ask John Sayers if its possible to record something good with a crap mic Dolemite see what he tells you

So it must be an Aussie thing? ;)

But honestly, if you don't have you to use a crap mic, then why handicap yourself like that?

The point is this.

I have a fair few nice mics this isnt my only mic.

To pick up something so cheap was not so bad.

Every mic can have a use and in the right hands can do wonders beyond what many of you guys will believe.

The mention of the pc mic was true i was played the same recording which was pretty good and it was recorded with nothing more then what i stated.

Its not apoint about doing battle its a point of how little can you get away with and still create quality see thats the trick not that we are all looking to do that but how many of us can do it ?

There should be a button that lets people vote on whether to delete a thread that is as pointless and irrelevant as this, and then, after a certain number of votes, it should just disappear.

And shame on you, Dolemite, for even engaging this topic!

There should be a button that lets people vote on whether to delete a thread that is as pointless and irrelevant as this, and then, after a certain number of votes, it should just disappear.

Typical reply but i guess if your to start anywhere maybe you should start with all those polls and threads about the best piece of gear for under x amount of dollars or something similar if you read properly you might be able to answer the question but again its easy to be a mud slinger an muck raker isnt it now go on im sure theres a mic poll somewhere or some other piece of trivia somewhere else you can chew the fat over like i said in the begining

constructive coments welcome seems you didnt read that part :)

Im also not one to say when im wrong as well the cartridge is a r57 which is different to this mic

only the info i posted earlier was a question in relation to this mic so i guess what i read was not posted correctly anyway i dont have a problem about being wrong

I admit my mistakes and iam not to proud to say im wrong but for 12 bucks i dont really give a toss what anyone says it has its place and its use anyway i dont have to justify myself to a mud slinger

For what it's worth John Sayers is a New Zealander.

Trebles,
Forget what the differences are...........at the end of the day you have a $12.50 Shure mic. If it works and does the jobs you try and use it for , then be thankful.......if it doesn't you haven't lost too much money.

:cool:

Ozrock your correct John does come from nz but iam sure he now considers himself very much part of our our land and given the close ties nz and australia have im sure any person from nz who comes across here also considers themself welcomed here as one of our own :)

and yes your right about the mic as well i guess i just wanted to know a little more about it but got some very stupid answers from one in particular but thats ok.

At the end of the day its a tool and used well with knowledge will harvest results far beyond what people may think you see one thing ive learnt now is i dont need to be a gear slut or have every bit and piece to make good recordings and now that if faced this fact ive changed some of my views and feel alot more balanced for it.

Hey its nice to be able to talk to you on a civil one to one basis rather then some of our past efforts where we have both got caught up over little things anyway i thank you for your views ozrock :-)

trebles said:
...got some very stupid answers from one in particular but thats ok.

Ouch! :eek:

charger said:

Agreed!

And shame on you, Dolemite, for even engaging this topic!

What can I say...I guess I was pretty bored last night.

BTW, trebles, lighten up man! I've never seen anybody get so serious about a $12 piece of gear!

In the end dolemite i asked a simple question and got no answer anyway it dont matter now and for that idiot who sugested we have a button to can posts like mine maybe he should go look closer to home before he stuffs with my content anyway dolemite enough said from me i,ll just go back to what i was doing might ask technical stuff elsewhere next time round

All i really wanted was someone to check the pdf for me and maybe say something simple like hey it might work ok in this application given the technical specs but i didnt get that

i got annoyed because the likes of people like charger took it on himself to be real smart rather then help he did noting but bag me for being honest and making an attempt to try something different anyway ive learnt my lesson now and will do this another way next time not going to waste my time asking for anything now considering all you get is attitude thrust upon you

trebles said:
All i really wanted was someone to check the pdf for me and maybe say something simple like hey it might work ok in this application given the technical specs but i didnt get that

Well you never asked for that! ;)

FWIW, I did look at the .pdf and it just looks like a bog standard crap vocal mic...I guess I can think of a couple other uses:

dildo
doorstop
paperweight (wait, no...I think it would roll too much)
fishing lure (just paint 'er up and add hooks)
tongue depressor
pastry funnel (hollow out the insides first)

So when you think about it, you actually got much more than a microphone for your $12.

Back