Shure Beta 58A on Ebay for $40 - too good to be true?

BJW

So, I'm looking for a beta 58a - I just love it on my voice. Anyway, I'm looking at Ebay, and I notice a bunch of them for $67, new, buy it now (well, $40 plus $27 shipping).

Wow, this is one sweet deal - but perhaps too good to be true. The seller has a feedback of 11, 100% (mostly him purchasing stuff, though). He's got other items, all shure beta-series mic's. Some are in lots of 6. I notice in one of his photos, there is a website address (http://www.shop8868.com). I go check out the site and sure enough, cheap Shure beta-series mic's, but it looks like they're out of Europe somewhere. The guy on Ebay says he's in the US. The description on Ebay looks like it was copied from another website, like Shure's.

I guess my question is, anybody heard or dealt with shop8868 before? Anybody bought a "new" beta 58 for $40 on ebay? Are fake shure mic's abundant out there? Should I run, or should I buy?

I emailed the seller asking if they are refurbs or 2nds, and just how he's able to sell a $160 mic for $40 plus shipping, but no response yet.

Here's a link to one of his auctions.

Domain Name.......... shop8868.com
Creation Date........ 2006-03-28 11:23:22
Registration Date.... 2006-03-28 11:23:22
Expiry Date.......... 2007-03-28 11:23:22
Organisation Name.... Quanlin Shi
Organisation Address. room 301,NO.52,1316 lonene,bao de road
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Shanghai
Organisation Address. 200000
Organisation Address. SH
Organisation Address. CN

That's China, in case you hadn't guessed. These are almost certainly knockoffs. They might work OK, but I wouldn't touch 'em, personally.

Don

That dude's account got hijacked . . . stay away from those auctions, they are more likely flat out fraud than mere fakes . . .

. . . As I suspected.

Thanks for the info - I definitely won't be buying one of those. I feel bad for the guy who's name they're selling under.

If his account is being used without his permission, maybe he'll get the question I sent him and figure out what's going on.

Thanks again.

Looks like all these cheap shure beta-series mic auctions are gone today. Good job, ebay.

Back