Shure Beta 58 - I got one =)

Danny Love

I'm pretty much ecstatic because I just scored myself a Shure BETA 58 for $40 today and a free Yamaha MT100 Cassette 4 track for another $5, I'm pretty much doing a dance on the inside. It sounds like beauty, so sensitive, and so sweet.:D

Hi Danny

I brought a beta sm58 about a year ago.

I am really loving this mircrophone more and more at first i thought it was slightly harsh and a bit nasally, but i use it with a windshield and I find that gives it that slight softness .

I find it really pics up the detail in your voice and you can close mic and it pics up the bass part of your voice beautifully.

I was watching the Jools holland show tonight and i saw the band the 'Stereophonics'. great band and i noticed the lead singer and all the other vocalist were using a Beta 58 too.

I can see why its a bit more expensive then the standerd Sm58. Plus yo have picked it up for a real bargin min cost me £110.00.

dave

Yeah I've really been digging it, it picks up so much, very sensitive, which is a very good thing and it's got a very nice range.

Thats right Dan.

dan i love trying out different mics , i recently brought the samson Q7 for £40. At first I was quite pleased as for the price I thought it sounded good and clear but when i went back to my Beta 58 I can definatly hear how the beta was way ahead in terms of quality and clarity.

I gave my Samson away.

I am glad I have found anothe beta 58 fan.

Some hear say that the beta 57's are also meant to be good for vocals but I am sticking with my beta 58's.

Dave

Yikes, 110 pounds for a B58! It's a good mic to be sure, but it's much cheaper here! How much is the Beyer M69 there? I consider them to be roughly equivalent in quality and application . . . but the Beyer is much more expensive than the B58 in the US. Maybe the opposite in Europe?

yes!!! MT100!!!!!
I had one but a friend broke it and I was extremely mad because I loved it so much.

yes!!! MT100!!!!!
I had one but a friend broke it and I was extremely mad because I loved it so much.

Haha yeah, it's got a bit of a belt drive issue though because every once in a while the tape just slows down during recording so my recording ends up sounding like a slow-mo movie scene. It's fun messing with analog, but I will be relieved when I go o digital :P

Back