Shure beta 52

Capt. Snazzy

Just picked up a new condition 52 off ebay, i got it because i've heard from my recording elders that it kicks the crap out of the akg-d112, i know that the d112 is a formidable mic for kick drum/ bass amp use and the idea of something better excited me, anyway, has anyone used one?
What are the characteristics / suggested uses / placement options for this mic? Thanks for any help
-Cap'n (not the crunch kind)

Well, I've heard that the D-112 is better thatn the 52, but I suppose it's just a matter of opinion because I have a 52 which I use just for recording - it's a great mic, does a splendid job, and I'm very happy with it, so good luck with yours, and I'm sure you will enjoy it... (aside: er, um, can I have the money now Mr Shure, or do I have to wait... ooops! - sorry, didn't realise this mic was on! heh heh!... )

I use a the B-52. I think it's a great kick drum mic. And I like it on some bass rigs, not so much on others. Lots of oomph. I haven't use a D112 first hand. The only thing that I don't like about the 52 is the way that it swivels, It dosen't want to stay in some positions, I just can't figure out why that spring is there, makes it hard to adjust. I have it locked in a position where it will stay, and I just work with that.

-jhe

Thanks Rec Eng, I was planning on getting the ATM25. Right now I'm using a plain old SM57 for the kick drum...it's not bad actually. Do you usually use a plastic (or whatever) beater or a felt one when recording drums? I've never heard my drummer use a plastic one, always felt...and I think the felt seems kinda dead.

yes an RE-20 would be sooooo nice to have around the studio. defintly on one my long list of mics that I can't afford to buy.. or is it can't afford not to buy?? :D

-jhe

Depends

I'm a drummer myself and for the type of music we play, I always use a felt beater (a DW pedal so it's the kind that's really heavy, so...). In the studio, if I felt a song would benifit from a plastic or wooden beater, I'd sure use it.

But I think the style of music is what usually determines what type of beater you most often use,

thanks for the replies so far

thanks, the beta 52 is all the 'ol budget would allow for right now, but i certainly can't complain. hey, has anyone tried taping a credit card (not one that you need to use to buy more mics online) to the spot on the bass drum head where the beater hits the drum? i've been told that this is a good way to accentuate the high-frequency attack of the hit while producing less of the dead low-mid range.. i use a drum machine for personal stuff, but the band i play with wants live drums, i would like to get as machine like sound as possible. maybe this is the wrong are to post in for this purpose, but i've already written this whole thing so i'm leaving it here... thanks for any help Cap'n

I hadn't heard of a credit card, but there are pads that are made especially for this purpose. My drummers goes thorough them quickly, they'll start to break and then the pad will rattle against the head, not a good sound. If you do go with the credit card, be sure you get a good bond, super glue should work, or 2 ton epoxy. When you replace it, clean off as much of the glue as you can so that the new one you put up will stick.

BTW how's the B-52? you like it?

-jhe

it's still in the shipping process

But thanks for the advice on the glue, i was going to duct tape it, but epoxy sounds better. thanks again, i'll post when i recieve and use the 52. l8r -Capt. Snazzy

El Barto said:
Thanks Rec Eng, I was planning on getting the ATM25. Right now I'm using a plain old SM57 for the kick drum...it's not bad actually. Do you usually use a plastic (or whatever) beater or a felt one when recording drums? I've never heard my drummer use a plastic one, always felt...and I think the felt seems kinda dead.

The felt beater gives a lower/wider sound and requires more effort to record. Its also pretty typically found in mellow--to-rock bands.. Heavier rock-to-metal bands will typically use a plastic beater so the bass drum sound can punch through the mix better.

Back