Shure beta 52 or 52a

bigtom

Can anyone tell me the diference between the shure beta 52 and the shure beta 52a. I need a kik drum mic and am not sure which to go with. Any other mic in same ballpark price wise that I should be looking at?

Thanks Big Tom

From Shure website - they are basically the same.

As of October 2002, the Beta 52 and Beta 56 are being replaced by the Beta 52A and Beta 56A.

1) The sound of the microphones are the exact same.

2) The knob and tightening mechansim have been redesigned to be more durable.

3) The mounting base is wider to accommodate a larger range of mic stands. The Beta 56A will work with the LP Claw.

As of October 2002, the Beta 52 and Beta 56 are being replaced by the Beta 52A and Beta 56A.

1) The sound of the microphones are the exact same.

2) The knob and tightening mechansim have been redesigned to be more durable.

3) The mounting base is wider to accommodate a larger range of mic stands. The Beta 56A will work with the LP Claw.

The 52 sure needed the redesign. I love mine, but.....

F.S.

I have a 52 and like it alot. The most popular mike for years is likely the AKG d112. They are both in the same price range. Which is better depends on who you talk to. The audix d6 is also pretty popular. I've only worked with the 52 and the d112.

F.S.

i've got experience with the beta 52a, the sennheiser 602 and the EV RE38. all are excellent kick mics. i'm sure the d112 is as well. the beta 52a handles the majority of my kick duties.

it's like asking which ice cream flavor is better, strawberry or chocolate? they're all good, but chances are you've got a preference. how'd you figure out which flavor you liked best? by trying them.

pick one and start there. buy it used (they're everywhere) and if you don't like it, you can turn around and unload it for what you paid for it.

cheers,
wade

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll start out with a beta 52a and see how I like it. I think that was the way I planned to go all along, just needed a little feed back first.

Thanks again Big Tom

Back