Shure Battle of the Dynamics

miggycash

Some great advice on here regarding the Shure PG and SM series. I've recently started recording on my Mac for fun and I'm looking for a decent vocal microphone to use. Currently debating between the PG58 and SM58. Most of the feedback from the forum conversations have been around live play. I don't plan on playing live and I'm only looking to record for fun. Here's my setup:

-Macbook Air
-Toneport UX1
-Garageband and Reaper

There's about a $40 difference between the two. Given my low-end setup and for what I'm trying to accomplish, would I hear a difference in quality between the two? Keep in mind, I'm still learning how to sing so if the SM58 will make me sound better, I'm all for paying the extra :facepalm:

Some great advice on here regarding the Shure PG and SM series. I've recently started recording on my Mac for fun and I'm looking for a decent vocal microphone to use. Currently debating between the PG58 and SM58. Most of the feedback from the forum conversations have been around live play. I don't plan on playing live and I'm only looking to record for fun. Here's my setup:

-Macbook Air
-Toneport UX1
-Garageband and Reaper

There's about a $40 difference between the two. Given my low-end setup and for what I'm trying to accomplish, would I hear a difference in quality between the two? Keep in mind, I'm still learning how to sing so if the SM58 will make me sound better, I'm all for paying the extra :facepalm:

There is no absolute relationship between an expensive and cheaper mic and their suitability for a given voice type (your basic "colour" will not change as you progress anyway. Your range should.) .

I would normally suggest a small D capacitor mic since these, even very cheap ones, tend to be neutral and you can then modify the sound later in software. Trouble is that the UX1 does not have phantom power. There are battery powered caps' but they tend to be expensive.

Given your set up I would say put the $40 in a tin for the "better AI etc" fund!

Dave.

-Macbook Air
-Toneport UX1
-Garageband and Reaper

The mic has no idea if it's in a studio or on a stage. Don't bother with the PG58. Get the SM58 and it will be perfectly adequate if you are recording for fun. Keep in mind, since you are just learning to sing, that a "better" mic won't necessarily make you sound "better" it might actually make you sound "worse".

Back