Shure 545 Unidyne III

composition4

Hi all, have just bought 3 Shure 545 unidyne III via ebay... just not sure what model they are (545s, 545d etc), and what connector they will have on them (XLR or 4pin?)... also if anyone can tell me what era they may have come from, would be much appreciated. Pic is below..

thanks!

Attachments

• 25_1_b.JPG
    25_1_b.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 422
composition4 said:
Hi all, have just bought 3 Shure 545 unidyne III via ebay... just not sure what model they are (545s, 545d etc), and what connector they will have on them (XLR or 4pin?)... also if anyone can tell me what era they may have come from, would be much appreciated. Pic is below..

thanks!

I ain't an expert, but those are pretty old, early-mid '60s I'd guess. They look like they take 4 pin Amphenol screw-in connectors.

I have one of those. Yes it looks like the 4 pin amphenol connector. I found a local electronic store that had one.

You can find the pinout configuration on Shures website. That connector was designed to provide low and high impedence output so you could plug it into either a console or perhaps a guitar amp. I only soldered the low impedance wires when making my cable.

congrats

I have a 545 but the cable is hard wired into the mic. It's wired for low impedience and it's really a decent mic. I think mine might have been used on a podium of some kind or maybe like a fast food restuarant mic where the mic is actually screwed onto a gooseneck and the cable runs through the gooseneck.

composition4 said:

thanks!

I've got one of those, and it came with a regular XLR (3pin), and wired for low impedence. I find that it has a lower output than my regular sm57, but a smoother sound. Great mic.

Back