Shredders: Michael Angelo/Holland review

Lopp

I and some non-shredding buddies saw Michael Angelo's band C4 at the Brat Stop on Saturday.

A quasi-highlight happened early when they invited Tommy Holland up to sing "Gotta Run." This was the 80's hit from when Tommy and Angelo were in the now defunct band Holland. It was a "quasi" highlight because Tommy is OLD. Maybe he was drunk, but he sounded really rough. Not quite what I was hoping for.

Aside from the quick "reunion," C4 rocked. The whole band has great stage presence. Angelo even brought out his double opposed necked guitar and performed lefty, righty, and double handed harmony shredding.

The only complaint I have is that Angelo is now endorsing "Rhino" amps. They just don't have the tone of the TSL and the Rectifier he used to use.

All in all, a great show. Even my non-shredding bud's were thoroughly impressed.

Last summer at NAMM in Nashville, a friend and I were eating at the Hard Rock. I noticed some long haired dudes sitting across from us and figured they must be pro players or something. My friend noticed the one guy was Michael Angelo. Later on at the convention I ended up catching his demo at the booth he was in. I think he was indorsing his guitar manufacturer, anyway he played that double necked thing, it was just about the crazyest thing I've seen.

Heh. I didn't think anyone would reply to this post about an obscure guitarist/band. Thanks bluesman! :)

I think he was (and still is) endorsing "Tradition" guitars. I remember seeing him do the double neck thing over 10 years ago at a small club in Milwaukee. He definitely took the guitar into a new area.

Speaking of endorsements. You've got to check out Greg Koch endorsing your CyberTwin (if you haven't already). Great stuff!

I always like to see good mention of the Cyber-Twin, I would think that there would be more praise around here about it, it's like the ultimate homerecording guitar amp... But anyways, I saw Greg's clinic over a year ago, just a few months after I got a Cyber-Twin. Greg is a great showman and an excellent guitar player and to top it all off he's funny as hell too. Thats a great combination that makes for a very enjoyable show. I hope to catch some good demo's/clinic's at the upcoming NAMM. Do you know of anyone else thats worth "watching for"?

dabluesman said:
Do you know of anyone else thats worth "watching for"?

Nah, but I'm sure there are tons. I'm just in tune with Mr. Koch and Mr. Angelo because they're from the Milwaukee/North Chicago area.

Back