Shouldn't FMR make an lunchbox style RNP, RNC, RNLA??

chris-from-ky

I was thinking today that it would be cool if FMR would get on the band wagon with all the other companies making lunchbox style pres, comps, and eqs. Judging from it's current half rack size, it shouldn't be too hard to negotiate the form factor especially since the RNP is 2 pres housed in that box rather than 1.

What do you think? I thnk it would help people more easily start their lunchbox collections and give FMR another stem of the market to appeal to. Speak up!!

it's a good idea, but making it practical isn't as easy. Have you thought about emailing FMR and asking them about that?

Jacob

I must admit my interest is more for the RNC than the RNP. Currently there are plenty of high end pres in that format, but not many comps and eqs. It'd be a way for FMR to offer an affordable alternative to the API 525. I would buy in to the 500 format if there were more options in the Comp and EQ depts. Then you could build affordable channelstrips and mix-n-match at will.

Why would you want a lunch box style? I wish they would make thier products in a full 19" rack version rather than the 1/2 space idea.

yeah, i've always avoided a lunchbox just because I've got this whole freaking rack here and where the crap am I going to put a lunchbox??? space in the studio is scarce...

I personally love the idea... but I think the cost of retooling to produce the unit in both styles would be more then the possible additional revenues would warrent.

I think that FMR's original targeted market was budget minded pro-sumer engineers and that they didn't want to offer a pre-amp or compressor in a format that required a power supply and rack enclosure that cost as much as the electronics of the stand alone unit itself...

Is there anyone who offers empty lunchbox project boxes? Now that would be cool... stuff your own preamp...

Even better... a third party vender that pre tools empty lunchbox modules for various small format half rack products... you know... along the same line as the RNP/RNC 1U rack panel. Now there's an idea...

I just ordered a DAV BG-1... I'd love that in a lunch box module. I'll be researching the possiblities...

chris-from-ky said:
I was thinking today that it would be cool if FMR would get on the band wagon with all the other companies making lunchbox style pres, comps, and eqs. Judging from it's current half rack size, it shouldn't be too hard to negotiate the form factor especially since the RNP is 2 pres housed in that box rather than 1.

What do you think? I thnk it would help people more easily start their lunchbox collections and give FMR another stem of the market to appeal to. Speak up!!

Considering that there are much better pres on the market, I don't see why anyone would want to be stuck with a lunchbox version of the RNP. But I would like to see a 1RU of the RNC, since I think it's their best product.

sound125 said:
Considering that there are much better pres on the market, I don't see why anyone would want to be stuck with a lunchbox version of the RNP.

Exactly... a lunchbox API 312 or clone would probably be around the same price as a lunchbox RNP... so who would buy the RNP?

Knowing Mark McQuilkin's corny sense of humor, he'd probably make a lunchbox like the kind your kids take to school, and he'd put some old cartoons on the side of it. :D

darrvid said:
so whats lunchbox style? is it a small rackable size, like the firebox?

A lunchbox is a rackable unit that holds multiple modules (preamps, compressors, Eq's, etc.) vertically and uses a single power supply.

Attachments

• lunchbox.gif
    lunchbox.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 172
That's an interesting idea. The cost of doing it would probably prevent anyone from buying one though.

chris-from-ky said:

Lunchbox for the RNC/RNP/RNLA
http://www.funklogic.com/mainfunk.htm

No separate power supply either so you still have all the wall warts to deal with (a consolidated power supply would be nice). It is nice and neat however, given that one of the benefits of the RNC/RNP is their small size and portability. The only problem, however, is that the box holds 4 units and if you don't already have 4 units, there is the "allure" of the open slot waiting to be filled. :D

Back