Should instrument move to center for the solo/lead part?

RawDepth

Say an instrument is panned to one side for most of the song playing rhythm. If it has a feature lead part over top of the other instruments, should it be moved to center during the solo or stay where it was? (I'm not talking volume, just about panning.)

I'll go part on the answer.

And it is not never, or always.

Even though you new that already.. :D

I'll move an instrument to center, but I'll fill in the hole with something else. Maybe with a 3rd tracked part...

But moreso, I just leave the two guitar parts where they are and the solo instrument is a new 3rd guitar part in the center.

I usually place solos/leads in the center unless I'm going for something unusual where it feels better coming off from the sides or whatever.
I treat the solo like an individual instrument...IOW....NOT like in a live setting where the rhythm guitarist has to stop playing rhythm in order to play the lead.
Of course, if you wan't something like that to happen in the recording...that's cool too, though I would still put it in the center for the solo part in most cases.

This is an interesting issue that I have come across many times. If the track opens up, and the rhythm guitar track is lost during the solo, then something needs to be done. Yes, a solo part feels best to me, out front and center. But, if it affects the mix, and becomes a 'drop out' in the feel of the song, then adding another track would be best. If this is a finished recording, and adding a new track is not possible, then there are ways to work around it.

Back to the unfriended, and typically thrashed upon theory of duplicating a track, and delaying it to create a image on the side needing a hole filled, I will do this to keep the space filled, with the other guitar track during the solo. It really can work, though I don't recommend this as a starting point. Only a fix that can actually work when needed.

Expecting some thrashing now.....

Back to the unfriended, and typically thrashed upon theory of duplicating a track, and delaying it to create a image on the side needing a hole filled, I will do this to keep the space filled, with the other guitar track during the solo. It really can work, though I don't recommend this as a starting point. Only a fix that can actually work when needed.

Oh my god - I can't believe you'd suggest that :D.

He's a witch.... BURN HIM!!!! :D

I float in water, therefore not a witch. Wait was I supposed to sink?

It's real damn simple ..ok?
Whenever we double a track- just have to frickin' remember;
It's always.. No, never....

Oh shit. Now I'm in the deep doo too :wtf:

Should instrument move to center for the solo/lead part?
1]It depends on the instrument, the song, the arrangement and the mix placement
2]Not necessarilly
3]Sometimes
4]You could try it and see
5]Is there any reason it shouldn't ?
6]Are there lots of lead bits and a main solo ?

One of the rules I try to follow is that if an instrument is an important melodic part of the song (e.g. vox and solos), it should be audible in both channels. That doesn't necessarily mean centered, but it shouldn't be too far off.

A good example of how not to do it, is pretty much every Five iron Frenzy recording ever. They usually put their leads way over to one side.

Say an instrument is panned to one side for most of the song playing rhythm. If it has a feature lead part over top of the other instruments, should it be moved to center during the solo or stay where it was? (I'm not talking volume, just about panning.)

In a situation like this I'd just track the lead part by itself and put it somewhere near the center.

But!!!!

You could just leave the lead to one side, and if it's mixed well and you're listening on anything other than headphones/earbuds, you'll never know it isn't in the middle. Those old VH records with Eddie only on one side don't sound goofy out in the room through stereo speakers. I mean, the songs are goofy, but the sound isn't. But in today's earbud world, a lead on one side kind of sounds awkward.

What I have noticed on countless recordings is that instruments are placed just as you hear the band live. With that in mind it would be very un natural sounding for an electric ensemble if an instrument were to change position for a solo..

If the performers were electric, even if the soloist moves front and center for the solo, the amp does not move, therefor the sound stage does not change.

Perhaps if the recording was acoustic like a bluegrass ensemble, the soloist may take center stage for the solo, in which case it might be more believable or natural sounding.

What I have noticed on countless recordings is that instruments are placed just as you hear the band live. With that in mind it would be very un natural sounding for an electric ensemble if an instrument were to change position for a solo..

If the performers were electric, even if the soloist moves front and center for the solo, the amp does not move, therefor the sound stage does not change.

Perhaps if the recording was acoustic like a bluegrass ensemble, the soloist may take center stage for the solo, in which case it might be more believable or natural sounding.

At the same time, I've noticed on countless recording that the solo is put up the middle, whereas two or more rhythm guitars are spread left and right, even though there isn't another guitarist/amp who appears in the centre when it's solo time.

In answer to the OP, I say put it where you want. Listen to it to see if you like it. Adjust as you see fit.

more believable or natural sounding.

You could just leave the lead to one side, and if it's mixed well and you're listening on anything other than headphones / earbuds, you'll never know it isn't in the middle. Those old VH records with Eddie only on one side don't sound goofy out in the room through stereo speakers. But in today's earbud world, a lead on one side kind of sounds awkward.

At the same time, I've noticed on countless recording that the solo is put up the middle, whereas two or more rhythm guitars are spread left and right, even though there isn't another guitarist/amp who appears in the centre when it's solo time.
I wonder how many people in the last 100 years of recorded sounds that are not either musicians or engineers or producers have listened to a piece of music and even wondered about instrument placement, let alone whether it sounds natural or unnatural.
Music on a disc/airwaves/cyberspace coming out of speakers in your room or car or straight into your ears is in itself unnatural. So in truth, the mixer creates the soundworld and the listener follows or passes.

Back