Should I use my nearfields for everything?

relliker

Hi ppl,

I've just invested in a pair of KRK V6s nearfields and was wondering whether it would be a waste (of wear'n'tear type) to use them as my only sound source in my little setup. I spend more time playing around with the melodies/lyrics/midi stuff prior to recording and don't pay much attention to the sound quality until I'm really ready to cut to multi-track. However, I'm tired of constantly switching from my hi-fi to the monitors via the patchbay and constantly power-cycling the monitors. I 'm afraid to use the V6s as my ONLY pair of speakers but I'm also afraid that this constant switching on and off and other home abuse such as un/plugging, varying sound sources etc. is not what they were designed for.

Am I justified in holding back or are monitors also designed to handle a home environment and more? I know monitors take long hours of abuse in studios but still....what do you esteemed and knowledgeable people think?

Thanks.

In my studio I use them for everything so I can stay used to the way they sound. It just makes it easier for me in the long run when it comes time for tracking/mixing.

Yep!

mmm....Thanks folks...I've already started using them for all things recordable and my ears do feel more comfortable....:)

Back