Should I take online recording classes or learn on my own?

tswion

Hi, I'm fresh meat to this forum and I didn't have a clue where to post this question.
I've been playing music for nearly six years now and want to start to build a home recording studio to start recording my and my friends music. I'm pretty clear on the equipment I will need, but my real question is how serious I am going to be with this. I have a lot of stored ambition that is fueled by the possibility of creating great music with great people in my area. I want to know if taking online courses from, say, Audio Institute of America, would be worth the time and money. Is there anyone out there with advice or, even better, a testimonial?

Thanks in advance.

Well, why not try a combination of both ? You can find so much good info on this forum. I would go so far as to say that everything you need to know about recording can be found here ~ if you're prepared for alot of searching, reading, wading through shit and witty comments, arguments and 'differences of opinion' and some sometimes dubious attitudes, weird humour and lots of off topic sidetracking.
Know that there is also a fairly steep learning curve whichever route you take and whatever happens, most of it will be you on your own. Best way to learn in my opinion, trial and error. Which is not to knock an on line course. It has it's place and use.

Are you trying to say that we don't always keep strictly on-topic there GT???

Surely not... :laughings:

How much are your online courses OP? That would be a factor...

I think if I was getting "real" tuition, I'd probably want it offline, rather than online, but it depends how much they cost to some extent...

Guitar Center has holds a series of four free home recording workshops on Saturdays at 10am. They're free and are a great way to get an intro to home recording.

Check their website. You'll see Home Recording Workshops listed in the LH side. Each weeks topic is listed inside. You don't have to pre-register either. Just walk in.

I'm a grumpy old cynic but I'd be sceptical of the concept of online courses.

There are a couple of major areas to learn about. The first is general recording/audio/acoustic theory about how things work. A bit of knowledge of things like mic placement...and why you place it there...is pretty necessary. The second is the specifics of the gear and software you will be using. Knowing the best choice of mic and placement isn't much good if you can work out how to route the mic to a track and set the levels.

I can't see how an online course could cover both sides of thing sufficiently.

There are some very good theory books that would provide the basic background...and I tend to find the best way to learn software is by "doing" with the manual by my side. On some software websites I've seen some good free tutorial videos--if you have access to anything like that, then, yeah, go for it.

But before paying for anything, I'd really check out how worthwhile it is.

I'm a grumpy old cynic but I'd be sceptical of the concept of online courses.

There are a couple of major areas to learn about. The first is general recording/audio/acoustic theory about how things work. A bit of knowledge of things like mic placement...and why you place it there...is pretty necessary. The second is the specifics of the gear and software you will be using. Knowing the best choice of mic and placement isn't much good if you can work out how to route the mic to a track and set the levels.

I can't see how an online course could cover both sides of thing sufficiently.

There are some very good theory books that would provide the basic background...and I tend to find the best way to learn software is by "doing" with the manual by my side. On some software websites I've seen some good free tutorial videos--if you have access to anything like that, then, yeah, go for it.

But before paying for anything, I'd really check out how worthwhile it is.

I know what you mean Bobbsy but as an ex-student of a world wide college, I don't think I really got much for the money I spent at an actual college. You've kinda got to do the vast majority of the work yourself whichever way you go. Definitely have a look into things a bit more and get some references... not one from the site you're thinking about using tho.

Do more reading first too. You can get plenty of books and magazines for a fraction of the course cost and learn a lot if you then apply it to the real thing. find some 1 or 2 day courses and see how you get on.

Thanks a lot for all the quick replies.
Your advice has helped, and now that I know guitar center holds the recording workshops I'm a little more at ease on the topic. I think I might just pick up some books and start building my knowledge before I consider dropping a couple c-notes on classes. I've also got a friend with a fairly extensive home recording studio, so I might ask him if he'll give me some hands-on tips. If anyone knows of some helpful books, mags, or other resources to recommend I would much like to know all about them.
Thanks again!

"Home Recording for Dummies" is a great place to start! Covers all the bases and explains everything you need to know to start out well nicely!

I've also got a friend with a fairly extensive home recording studio, so I might ask him if he'll give me some hands-on tips.
Thanks again!

This would be an ideal place to start. Make sure you back it up with some reading though. I read Sound and Recording: An Introduction by Rumsey and McCormick when I was starting. It was great for the more in depth technical elements as well as a beginners approach to it all.

Man, this forum rocks. I've never had so many solid responses in such a short amount of time. Thanks for looking out for the newbies guys!

Because I love reading, I'm gonna pitch in with those that recommend reading stuff. If you do a search with the search function, there are a few threads in which the question has been asked and lots of books have been recommended.

Back