Should I spend the money?

Ledmech

Hello all, I've been visiting these forums for about 2 months now and just registered today.

Since I started coming here I decided to learn how to play the guitar because I have heard some really great music from people in this forum. Personally, I think its much better than 99% of the crap thats played on the radio.

I've been playing for about a month now and thought I would record something. I was just wondering if some of you guys would take a listen and see if I should spend the money to get some decent equipment to make a home studio. Or just give up all together. :(

PLEASE keep in mind that this is done on a computer mic!
(and a demo version of Acid so I could make a couple tracks....)

www.isfswat.cjb.net

I couldn't get your website to open, but I can answer your question without hearing your music.

If you have ideas you'd like to record, it's worth it. The trick is deciding what level of equipment you need. If you are recording through a computer mic, it might be worth getting a decent mic and preamp. There are quite a few that are pretty reasonably priced. You could get a good mic, like a Shure SM57 or Studio Projects B1 for about $80, and a preamp like the M Audio Audio Buddy for about $79.

Inexpensive software is available, too. N-Tracks is very popular and you could start for free or register it for $35.

If you have a soundcard that plays Soundfonts, like a Soundblaster Live or Audigy, you can download lots of free sounds to use.

I find that the more you have to work with, the more your creativity is stimulated. Have fun and experiment.

Well I hear it man. Exactly what Dan said too....Having been a musician for quite some time, if you enjoy it, do it.

I listened to the tune you did and I will say YES you MUST buy some type of recording software/hardware......the N-tracks suggestion is a good one.Unlimited amount of tracks(as many as your computer can handle),built in effects and you can always download free plug in effects to add on...I think the price is $45 for it now.

The jam you posted was really good.You have tons more potential and talent than some of the people that already post their music here.

At least your instrument was in tune and the song had a sense of melody to it.

Go for it!

Your tune kind of reminded me of Nirvana for some reason. How bout some vocals? Of course get some better equipment, this is fun stuff. There is nothing more rewarding or amazing than sitting back and listening to something that you worked hard on. Oh and your friends will be amazed and you'll get laid all the time. Well okay maybe not that last part.

Joel

Ledmech said:
I've been playing for about a month now and thought I would record something. I was just wondering if some of you guys would take a listen and see if I should spend the money to get some decent equipment to make a home studio. Or just give up all together. :(
Never give up! Everyone has to start somewhere! I would say, if you want to record, spend your money on gear. If you don't want to record, then buy something else...

I don't need to compare my tracks to the stuff you'll find on the pop-charts. I make my music because I think it sounds good and best of all: It's fun! :D

Back!

Damn, I went out and bought a couple mics but I'm still having one problem. I'm a drummer so I like the drums to be a big part of a song........kinda big anywayz...:P

The problem I'm having is that when I hit a crash cym, It sounds all distorted....I mean, its almost as bad as my little demo song I recorded on my computer mic :(

Is the distortion from a crappy mic, or from some kinda mixing problem. Don't laugh but I bought the mics from the Shack . And I can take them back. I would'va gone somewhere else but there aren't any good music stores around here :(

Any suggestions on geting a good drUm sound?

Back