Should I replace or repair my Studio 32?

KuzinRob

Pill Pusher
Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum for at least a year, getting advice for my own home recording projects. So I finally decided to join today because my Studio 32 has been acting up, and well, now just doesn't act at all. :D

I have definitely narrowed the problem down to the power supply. When I turn the mixer on, no signal goes through any channel, but there is a hum on all of the channels audible in all of the outs. However, before this, I had another problem. The mic input on channel 8 didn't work, only the line in did.

I guess it's just aging (the sticker on it says manufactured 1997). I got it used from one of the engineers I worked with when my band did its demo. Maybe it's karma, you know, the engineer sells me a lemon mixer so I go back to their studio instead of doing my own work, hahah. :D I paid $450 for it, and that was 2002. Do you think I'm just SOL with this and need to start looking for another mixer?

Did I mention I'm a huge gear head? :D I'd like any excuse to get a larger board, but I don't want to break the bank. I'd like a 24 or 32 channel board, preferably with direct outs and 4 subs, or just 8 subs, since I have a Delta 1010. But, considering I might get another Delta 1010, I'd like direct outs. What options do I have?

Thanks!

I used to have a Studio32 and found it to be a decent mixer. . . .at first. The crosstalk on the mixer is very much a downer, not to mention I had a similar problem with my unit at one time. I would power it on and the lights would come on, but no audio. I had it services for like $175 and it worked for the rest of the time I owned it, but the overall sound quality just didn't work for me.

I know you didn't post this to get someone just ragging on the quality of the mixer, but I just can't help it. I hated that mixer.

Actually, it's good to be honest about it, because you're persuading me towards just getting a new one. Thanks! :D

"The crosstalk on the mixer is very much a downer"

I'll second that comment. I never really noticed how bad the crosstalk was untill I recently started transferring some older tracks off my adats into my software. It really does suck, and on mine it seems like certain channels are worse.
Its still a hard mixer to beat in terms of price/features and routing options.

Back