Should I Master or Shouldn't I

dvs recordings

Ok I have just laid a vocal track over pre-recorded audio (Karaoke) And I have a pretty good mix going on. I'm sure the music has been already mastered by a professional. But my track of vocals has not. Is there a way to hotten up the signal of the new music/vocal mix through mastering to make it sound more pro sounding or am I faced with the reality that since the music is already mastered is there no more that can be done with this recording other than some effects on the vocals.

Could I be making it worse by tring to master the new mix or is it worth experimenting with? The levels of the vocal track are not quite peaked out, so is there room to bring them up while not messing up the music. Seems like I keep asking the same question using different words. Time to shut up.......

Please advise,
Dave

Ok Dave, might want to be a little more specific. What are you recording with and how?
Hardware recorder? Software?

Is your software designed as a multitrack recorder with faders for each channel ? Can you edit tracks individually ? Whats the software your using ?

Assuming you have the two tracks seperated, you can beef up the vocal track with the fader. If you still cant get enough on the vocals you can normalize it, or rerecorded the vocals and adjust your input monitor into a safe range, but of course not to the point of clipping. A final digital mixdown should not effect the music track if it remains in the digital realm.

I don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs but......

If you are going to normalize, dont forget to clone the tracks first and then apply normalization. Normalizing adds noise and is destructive in nature. Cloning tracks is a good habit to get into, leaving your original dry recording intact for future use/fallback/comparison.

Back