Should i get new computer or will this computer suffice-READ!!!

Drums4tanner

Im going to start recording and i need to know if my computer will get the job done quick and easy. i have a Windows Vista-Here are the specs
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
It says on my local disk i have 130 GB free of 232 GB
Will this do?

What do you plan to do? acoustic recording? loads of virtual instruments? how many tracks?

T series processors aren't great. I have a t7700 in my laptop i think (2.2ghz) and while it's OK, i wouldn't fancy pushing it too much.

On battery power it operates at 1.3ghz and is noticeably underpowered for the job.

What do you plan to do? acoustic recording? loads of virtual instruments? how many tracks?

T series processors aren't great. I have a t7700 in my laptop i think (2.2ghz) and while it's OK, i wouldn't fancy pushing it too much.

On battery power it operates at 1.3ghz and is noticeably underpowered for the job.
i plan to do drum covers. so basically recording my drums and sycing a song over it. no virtual instruments.

What DAW are you using? Again as long as you aren't laying down a ton of tracks, you should be OK with that. Drum covers you will have one stereo track for the song you are doing, and probably 4-8 mono tracks depending on how many tom/snare/overhead mics you use.

First cardinal rule of recording. Never record to the same drive your OS is on. Get a 2nd hard drive.

My laptop has a Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz. It's fine for basic recording at least up to 16 simultaneous tracks--I did some brief experimenting with more and it seemed okay but I've never had a real session go more than that.

I frequently play back 25-30 tracks at a time--again no problem.

When I start adding real time effects, things can get choppy pretty fast if I don't use tricks like buses and freezing/locking tracks. Exactly when problems start depends on the combination of effects...some are far more CPU intensive than others.

All the above is with Adobe Audition. I'm also pretty picky about keeping other nonsense on my computer stripped down to the bare bones to keep my DAW work reliable.

So, basically, what the above tells you is that "it depends". It depends on what DAW you use, how your computer is set up...and what you want to do with it.

Back