Should I get Cubase 7 and Halion

asterix12

I am posting in the beginner, because that what I am.
I have got Cubse Artist 6.5 last year. I did not get far in the manual p.95 only. I wonder if for a home studio Artist is ok or if I should get Cubase full version and Halion?
I think the manual have a couple of mistakes, like stuff that dose not work well. Maybe I am not the only one thinking that. There is so many things to learn.
Thanks

I seriously doubt as a home recording type person that the full version of Cubase will have any additional features that you will use. I've gone through the list many times in the past and can't convince myself that I would use any features in the full version that isn't in the Artist version. I'm still debating on whether I want to upgrade to Artist 7.0 or not. 6.5 is working well for me.

As for Halion, I think that decision only you can make. It seems pretty expensive. Are there alternatives?

Surely you both have a dongle?

If that is the case you can download the (30day?) trial of the fullfat 7 and give it a serious do?

Dave.

Personally I wouldn't tempt myself with trials. I wholeheartedly agree with Chili that Artist 7 has most everything you'll need as a home recording dude.

As far as HALion, what are you looking for in sounds? HALion has lots of great samples, but what's really held it back from competing with the UVI player and Kontakt is that by and large the latter two have better third party support. Many third party instruments require some version of Kontakt and UVI is on the rise as well.

This all depends on your goals. If you aren't going to go out seeking many third party samples, then HALion is perfect because of the Cubase integration. Go for it.

Personally I wouldn't tempt myself with trials. I wholeheartedly agree with Chili that Artist 7 has most everything you'll need as a home recording dude.

As far as HALion, what are you looking for in sounds? HALion has lots of great samples, but what's really held it back from competing with the UVI player and Kontakt is that by and large the latter two have better third party support. Many third party instruments require some version of Kontakt and UVI is on the rise as well.

This all depends on your goals. If you aren't going to go out seeking many third party samples, then HALion is perfect because of the Cubase integration. Go for it.

Hmmm? Well, you know what Oscar Wilde said what the only thing was to do with temptation!

Dave.

"
For the Cubase 7 Trial you require an USB-eLicenser. You may purchase a USB-eLicenser from our Online-Shop or your local dealer."
Dave.

No, what he means is...he doesn't need to get the trial to make a decision. All he needs to do is look at the list to know that he doesn't need most of the stuff he'd get with it.

"
For the Cubase 7 Trial you require an USB-eLicenser.

yes, which is a pathetic requirement which I have mentioned to Cubase several times in these forums.

No, what he means is...he doesn't need to get the trial to make a decision. All he needs to do is look at the list to know that he doesn't need most of the stuff he'd get with it.

Exactly. I have a dongle. I run Cubase Artist 6.5. I do not care to upgrade to the full version of Cubase. I base my decision on the Comparison Chart Steinberg provides. I do not need to download a trial version to know the full version is not for me. I might upgrade to Artist 7.0, especially since the prices are going up very soon.

I gave my recommendation to the OP to do the same.

yes, which is a pathetic requirement which I have mentioned to Cubase several times in these forums.

Exactly. I have a dongle. I run Cubase Artist 6.5. I do not care to upgrade to the full version of Cubase. I base my decision on the Comparison Chart Steinberg provides. I do not need to download a trial version to know the full version is not for me. I might upgrade to Artist 7.0, especially since the prices are going up very soon.

I gave my recommendation to the OP to do the same.

Gotcha.
Dave.

Thanks everyone, I feel better now. Artist can do a lot, and I still have a lot to learn about it. I tought I was the only one with artist.
I am still struggling learning it.

I am still struggling learning it.
I might be slower than the average musician (which is really slow), it took me about a year to become proficient with Cubase. It is a steep learning curve as all DAW's are. Stick with it. Experiment. Figure out how to get it to 'work' for you.

Hint: If all your tunes are similar and your recording scenario will mostly be the same, learn to use templates. Big time saver and you'll get more consistent results.

Have fun,

Back