andyhix

:dank:
here's what I have (or at least have access to) for vocals:

AT2020
MSH-1A
SP C1
Shure SM58
Shure Beta SM58A

I tried some vocals with the C1, and was kinda dissapointed. Just a little too thin sounding, I guess you would say. Tried the MSH. A little better but still disappointing. Tried the Beta 58A, and it sounded much better, but not great. So, I'm thinking I'm one of those guys who might sound better with a Dymanic? As such, and based on all the raving reviews all over the internet, I'm thinking I should really consider an SM7B. To do so, though, I'd have to sell the SP C1 to partially finance it. I would still have the AT2020s for my Large(ish) diameter condensor needs, should they arise (other ssong styles, other singers).

Anyway, Does my line of reasoning make sense, that if I sound better on a beta 58A than on a condensor, I'll sound even better on an SM7B? Or is it really stupid to sell the C1?

This is as much a budget question as anything. In a perfect world, I'd keep the C1, and still get the SM7, but my wife would kick my ass for dropping $300 on a mic right now.

sell the C1. it's obvious that you aren't happy with it.
...for what I'm working on now. I just worry that I'll want it in 3 months when I go through a smooth jazz/polka fusion phase.

OK one other add-on question. Any reason why I couldn't use the SM7 for live vocals (at practice - usually the venues provide mics, and we haven't played out in a year anyway). If that could work, I maybe could even sell the Beta (my usual "live mic").

...for what I'm working on now. I just worry that I'll want it in 3 months when I go through a smooth jazz/polka fusion phase.

OK one other add-on question. Any reason why I couldn't use the SM7 for live vocals (at practice - usually the venues provide mics, and we haven't played out in a year anyway). If that could work, I maybe could even sell the Beta (my usual "live mic").

sm7 requires a bunch of gain. if you can tote along your own preamp.....

Do you use a stand or hold your live mic? The SM7 is a bit bulky and heavy to be handheld, but if you use a stand I see no reason why it couldn't be used live.

Do you use a stand or hold your live mic? The SM7 is a bit bulky and heavy to be handheld, but if you use a stand I see no reason why it couldn't be used live.
Stand always - I usually attempt to play guitar while I sing (with mixed results).

Wrong question.

Correct question: How many SM7s should I get?

Compared to the C1, the SM7 will be much smoother as it doesn't have the top end sheen/brittleness. Also, realize that the Beta 58 is a stage mic with a presence boost to cut through a mix. The SM7 will be much flatter (well, maybe less hyped is a better word as there are some high end dips) on the top end then either of those mics.

And if that C1 ain't jiving... eBay it.

Last edited:
I don;t have a SM7, but i have a RE27 and i can tell you the flexibilty of a large diameter dynamic is fantastic.

Daav

Should you get an SM7? Yes. It's a great mic for vocals.
However, you'll need a good amount of gain to get it hot enough for vocals. Also why it would feedback more in a live situation, and why I wouldn't use it on stage.

It's also important to consider that an SM7 through a Mackie board is a much different mic from an SM7 in a hi-end pre. So what's your signal path?

No.

I think you should just collect a bunch of shitty mics instead. You don't want a real mic in your collection do you? What the heck good would that do?

:D

To answer the signal question, for recording, the mic is going directly into a firepod. I do have a cheap-o yamaha mixer I could incorporate maybe for an added boost, but I'd like to avoid that, obviously. So, the gain thing is a bit of a concern - there are a few other threads elsewhere in this forum talking about the "quietness" of firepods. I've had no prob with other mics, though.

Why is every one always so "worried" about the sm7 not having enough gain?

Are you guys tracking at like 8 bit or something?

No pain, no gain.

Enough gain = enough pain

Enough pain = enough blues

Enough blues = great songs.

So, there is your connection to the worry of not enough gain.

Yes, the SM7 does need a good amount of gain as it isn't the hottest mic on the planet... but I have gotten good results out of mine even on real shit pres. Does a Great River make an SM7 sound better... sure. Is it mandatory, hell no. Any reasonable pre will get the job done.

I just bought an SM7b, used it with an Avalon AD2022 and a UA LA-610, makes my voice sound wonderful and sit nice in the mix with guitar. Worth it? Hell yes! Needs lot of clean gain for sure.

Back