Should I Chuck The Analogue & Go Digital?

I have a pretty well equipped 8-Track Tape based home studio. The whole routine - 24 x 8 Console, 1/2" 8-Track, DAT, racks of effects, blah, blah,blah. I have been stagnant as far as recording for the past couple of years due to real world family issues but have recently been bitten by the bug. My question is, with all the computer based digital software products which record such astounding audio as well as MIDI why in the world would a guy still run all this analog equipment? Why not get rid of it and buy the latest computer & software and keep it in the beige box? No, I cannot afford Pro Tools, but even at the home studio level something such as Cakewalk 9.0 is an amazing product: Audio, Effects,Mixing....
Why do I even need this this DAT Machine or this 112MKII Cassette Deck, or these MidiVerbs, etc. Seriously, I have extensive computer knowledge and work with them all day long in the graphic design field. I wouldn't stand for old fashioned stuff in that area, why settle for it in recording?
I'm looking for serious ideas as to whether a guy like me should get computer, software, a real good Mic Pre, and burn CDs to my hearts content. Do I really want to continue to drop 50 bucks for 30 minutes of 1/2" tape? If it sounds as if I have already made up my mind, I really haven't. I really do love my equipment, but from a purely logical standpoint, this old stuff doesn't make sense, does it?
Thanks for any and all input.

Hey buddy!
Multiple posts are not welcomed around here.... S8N will come and get you!
I answered you on the ANALOG ONLY Forum.
Dom

I didn't answer you in the analog only forum-so here it is:

Generally for the home recording guy of today a digital unit is ideal. It is the cheap option and so much more efficeint, condensed and reliable in my opinion. It also gives you the option of inbuilt effects and is easy to record to an external device.

But-if I had the money I'd buy an Analog system anyday. If you have the space and know how analog recording is far better for results than digital.

The following is from an article to demonstrate this:

Digital is a convention of naturally occuring phenomema into a series of on/off electrical pulses, ie 0's and 1's. Off or on. Analog is the recording of these phenomena as they occur. Your ears, like your eyes, do not percieve zero's and ones, but natural inpulses. Digital therefore is an interpretation of what is there as if it were perfect. Have you ever seen perfection.

Krystof: Your ears do not perceive a magnetic representation of a real world signal, either. Neither medium stores actual sound, but a representation of that sound. Digital is much more honest with it's representation than analog in most areas.

If you happen to ditch your analog 1/2" and you live in Canada I might be interested in buying it. Tascam TSR-8 or the Otari.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 07-14-2000).]

I know exactly what you are trying to say-I guess it's a difference of opinion-give me the money and I'd have a analog set-up for rercording.

At the moment I have not got the money so I do have a digital unit (korg D16).

Nigel-

Cross-dressing...er..ah..cross-posting is usually frowned upon by other members of this BBS. I, however, find it rather amusing.

Hi Nigel,

I was in your shoes a few years ago.
I went with Tascam DA-38's (16 track setup);
I'm now going to setup a DAW.
I still liked having the "hard copy" (i.e., tape.)
I would say build a PC just for recording.
I mean, if you're not having a modem in it or a printer hooked up or a scanner or any of that stuff. You could build a really good PC for not too much money. But I personally would keep the Board if it's quiet-and get one of the 8 Input Rack units that you can get for about $1,000 or so.

That's what I plan on doing.
Actually-I'm going to get two of them, so that I can go 16 tracks at once.

Tim

Nahhh, no fight from me. I'm a little more secure in my talent than that. I'm not talking about fixing "mistakes". I know how to play. Can't say I've ever heard a single track from El Barto, though.

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 07-16-2000).]

MY answer is:
Yes, going to a HD recording with a PC will get you better sound. But it will cost ya. Both money, and time. And what will you get?
Well, more tracks, probably. And possibly less noise. Then what? Will your songs be better? Nah, I don't think so, unless you base your music on sound. :)

What do you feel is the limitation in your current setup? Is it to few tracks and that the tape machine gives you sound coloring and tape hiss? In that case, go digital (and PC is only one digital option). Otherwise, you'll probably not get much out of going digital, is my guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Otherwise, you'll probably not get much out of going digital, is my guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except for tons of editing cababilities :rolleyes:.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pglewis:
Except for tons of editing cababilities<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes, sure. But for what use? There is no editing capabilities in the WORLD which means that no matter what, you'll get a significant increase in the quality of your recorded material over what you have today. It depends on what the limitation in your current setup is. Depending on what that limitation is, and how much time and money you have to put into the transistion, going to PC recording may, or may not, give you what you want.

I know what MY limitation is in my setup. I need new monitors. No editing capabilities will fix that problem, right? :)

[This message has been edited by regebro (edited 07-16-2000).]

Have you ever heard of doing another take? Christ...screw editing...it's called playing the damn thing right. If you can't even do that, then you shouldn't be recording...right?

Heh. What's that supposed to mean? You think I can't play...right. It wasn't a direct insult to you, it was a direct insult to the general digital world. Everything now a days is automated, you screw something up and you just hit the Undo button.

Never said you couldn't play. I said I've never heard a single track from you. It's true.

I've saved enough time not rewinding during tracking to have read War and Peace twice already. And you can bet yer bippy your favorite recording artists take advantage of the technology. Resist change if you want, but don't go around knocking those who do take advantage.

regebro: I can't argue with your logic, there. In fact, it's the same thing I usually say: find the bottleneck. In your case, getting a better monitoring system sounds like the way to go. But it sounds like Nigel might have a pretty good analog setup as it is.

And to those who just think I'm being a digital evangalist: I suggested that Nigel keep his analog gear to compliment the move to digital.

Nigel,
I can see how you feel left behind by the 'digital take over', and if you were new to recording, and had no equiptment, i'd definatly say go digital. But you have a full, working setup.

Both digital and analogue have their advantages. So before you consider swiching you should ask yourself;

Do you just want a digital setup because its newer and you feel behind everyone else?
If so definatly don't go digital, this would be the worst reason. Also recording is compleatly different to graphic design, alot of the best equiptment is that 'old stuff'; almost everyone here probobly wishes they owned vintage microphones, or top of the line Otari 2" 24 track recorder. You may not own the top of the line analogue equiptment, but you wouldn't be moving to the top of the line digital equiptment either.

Do you feel limited by what you currently own?
If what you have is all you need, then why change.

Would you really use all the extra features you would gain from going digital?
It's nice to dream of owning all the extra features, channels etc. but in reality if you arn't going to use them, their useless.

If you were to get a new digital setup you would have to spend a large amount of time familiarising your self with it, even though you do know computers, and it definatly doesn't mean the quality of your recordings would go up.

"I really do love my equipment"
If you are happy with your recordings and equiptment, then why change. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Hope this helps you with your quest,
omni...:)

I would never get rid of all that analogue gear, especially not the tape machine and certainly not the desk. I have a digital set-up, but I keep thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have some analogue stuff to get warmth to my recordings. You can get the best of two worlds. Recording drums hot to analogue tape for that in your face sound. Overdriving signals slightly on your desk, instead of using plug-ins to get somewhere near the results I'm trying to achieve digitally. These are the things I dream of, and I would get a tape machine anyday if I could afford one. Of course I would chuck it all into my Mac afterwards for further tweaking.

Back