Should I buy these?

sparkmonkey

A friend of mine is selling his studio and I can pick up most of his gear for what sounds like a good price Let me know what you think:

1- Peavey 520i with mic stand
2- Shure 849's
1- 50 ft snake
2- sm57's
1- aphex 107 dual mic pre
1- studio projects C-1
2- mic stands and a cable for each microphone

All of this at the incredibly low price of $550

Is this Good? He takes wonderful care of his stuff. I am very new at this. My current equipment:

2- Nakamichi cm300
1- MXL V93
Presonus Blue Tube
AKAI DPS12i

I have the money available to upgrade equipment. Is this my best option?

It is a good bargain IF you need all those mics. Considering you only have three now (assumin cm300s are mics), is there a good reason you suddenly want six more? Food for thought.

I want to learn to record my full band including drums. Plus, who doesn't like the thought of having more microphones? I've been reading the big thread nightly and I want more to experiment with. The value is what I am more concerned with. If it's a good deal I'm thinking I won't have to buy another microphone for a little while at least. Is that Aphex 107 a nice pre-amp?

Thank you for your responses!

Tyler

Well let's see; if you had to buy all that new:

2 SM57's $140
1 SPC3 $199
1 Aphex 107 Couldn't find a price on that model, but a 108 is $199
1 520i $219

Those are the goodies, so what's left, a couple mic stands a snake and some cables? What kind of cables? Without knowing, I'd go... say $150 on the lot, and thats generous.

Thats over $900 if you were to buy it all. The big ticket items are of course the mics and the pre, and thats around $750.
The mics alone are worth what he's asking if they are in MINT condition. Your mic supply seems a little bare, so, I'd go for it! It's a bargain!!

sparkmonkey said:
If it's a good deal I'm thinking I won't have to buy another microphone for a little while at least.

Famous last words. :)

It's a good deal if the mics fit your purpose. From the list, I only have first-hand experience with SM57 and C1. SM57 is a great many-purpose mic. C1 can be good on male vocals. I have Oktava MC012 for drum OHs but it looks like you can use the Shure 849 for those. Although you can use an SM57 on the kick, I have an AKG D112 that I like better. My point is, if those mics are what you wanted, then yes, they're a good deal. OTOH, if I had my heart set on a convertible but I buy a pickup truck because I got it at a really good price am I really gonna be happy in the end?

$550 is a lot of money to me and I would personally make sure I spend it wisely. If the stuff is in near mint condition, the C1, two SM57 and snake would be a good price at $400.

I'm rambling. To get back to what I quoted from your post, it doesn't look like the mics on the list is complete enough to record a band. Specifically, you will probably end up wanting a better mic for the kick drum - unless the Peavy is a kick mic (but I haven't heard of people raving about using any Peavy mics for kick). If the C1 doesn't sound good with the vocal you're recording, then you'd probably want to buy a different one. I'm just saying you may find that you need/want to buy more mics even after getting all the gear listed.

It's only my $0.02 but it's your money. :)

The 520i is for a kick drum, granted it's not the most popular. What other microphone would you recommend for a kick drum that won't break me? I think this setup will do for now. I know what you mean by "famous last words." I'll always want more.
I'm also thinking about a BBE Sonic Maximizer.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Shure 849's or the Aphex 107?

You are all appreciated!

Thanks,
Tyler

I'm not at all familiar with the Shure849, or the Aphex 107.

For a great kick drum mic, I like the Shure SM7
(thats "7" not "57")

Its a large diameter Dynamic, with an SPL rating high enough to mic a jet engine in close proximity!
Being a dynamic it doesn't require phantom power, it's great on vocals, in fact it was used as the vocal mic on the #1 selling album of all time.

I have 2 of these and is my primary "go to" for kick drum.
8th street has them priced at $399.00, not sure if thats over your budget, but look around, you may find a deal on a used one.

Michael Jones said:
For a great kick drum mic, I like the Shure SM7
(thats "7" not "57")

Its a large diameter Dynamic...

I made the same mistake a couple of months ago. Chessrock (I think?) was kind enough to correct me... (it has essentially the same capsule as the SM57 - confirmation is on the Shure website)

So......
I went last night and bought this stuff and when I got there he pulled this on me:

Lexicon mpx 100 for $100

I have effects on my AKAI DPS12i but I'm going to guess they are probably a little weak.

So, I figure while I'm showing you how new to this I am, with my endless string of questions:

What I've read of the Lexicon seems pretty good. On ebay they're about $130. Are these quality effects? I guess this is the microphone forum, but are there any other suggestions?

If this question belongs somewhere else just let me know. You people are being very helpful so if you keep answering it might just keep coming.

Thanks,

Tyler

Back