Should I buy cubase?

Mike B

Hi guys,

I've been recording on a Roland Vs-880 VXpanded for a couple of years now, and have gotten fairly used to it. My main complaint, or reason for upgrading would be for 24 bit sound, and the ability to record more tracks at one time, as well as a better graphical interface.

I recently purchased one of the new iMac DV+ computers. It has a 450 MHz, 20 meg hard drive, 64 megs of RAM, and runs on a G3 processor.

Would Cubase-vst 5.0 be the best choice for upgrading my situation?

I realise, I'll probably need more RAM. What other purchases would be entailed?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Once you get into recording onto a hard drive the first thing you need is a way to get sound in and out of the computer. The most common way is a PCI card sits inside the computer and is connected to an I/O box like the Event Layla or MOTU 2404. I am not quite sure how you do this due to the lack of PCI slots on the iMac. Maybe some compaies can make the connections with USB, I don't know. I think your first step should be to research your I/O options then pick out a software platform which meets your sepcific needs.

good luck,
j

Since you have no PCI slots you need a usb interface. I know tascam makes one called the US-428. It has 24 bit converters and is also used as an external controller for Cubase so you don't spend all your time mousing around. I have never used it so I can't attest to its quality, but all the reviews I have read have been positive. Good luck!

Back