Should I buy a G5 or build a DAW?

u2bonoman

Getting a loan very soon, and I am spending it on a new DAW. Not sure if I should go for the Dual 1.8 GHz G5 w/ 2 GB Ram or if I should build a workstation.

One problem is, I'm not sure if the loan will be sufficient enough to buy both a Mac and Logic Pro 7 - which is what I really wanna do.

I know I could build a screamin DAW for less than the Mac and either use my Sonar 3 PE or upgrade to Sonar 4 PE.

Decisions, decisions.

If you think I should build, what kind of specs are we talkin? AMD 64?

mhop

I use both a dual amd machine and a mac so I'll try to be fair. If its strictly for recording and composition - I'd go with a mac. If its for sound design / sythesis, I may go for the PC. Thats how I split tasks and it works well.

I think it depends on what other gear you have and what you do with it.

You already have Sonar, why change now? I'd use the money saved by building a PC and go pickup a nice Pre or something. MAC's are overpriced and they make no difference at all in your sound quality. Take a look at what's in your signal path, the room you record in and monitoring.

therage! said:
I think it depends on what other gear you have and what you do with it.

You already have Sonar, why change now? I'd use the money saved by building a PC and go pickup a nice Pre or something. MAC's are overpriced and they make no difference at all in your sound quality. Take a look at what's in your signal path, the room you record in and monitoring.

Yeah, in a way this is what I was thinking. I am already used to Sonar, it works well, and the Sonar 4 update is supposedly fantastic.

I would like to start actually making money at this, and I guess I thought Sonar would keep people from taking me seriously. Everyone is all about the Mac and Logic. But from what I hear, Logic has tons of bugs and may not even be worth it.

And around $3,500 for a Mac verses $2,500 to build? You're absolutely right I suppose. Maybe, I should just throw that extra cash into another piece of gear. Thanks!

Back