Should I buy 1 used AKG C541B or a matched pair of Rode NT5's???

LOL!

Ha! I didn't mean for it to be sarcastic. However, re-reading it I can see how such a minimal loss over a long period of time could be seen as ridiculous. :D I was actually being serious, it really does add a new spin to the decision.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-Thomas Jefferson-

I don't know about the AKG C541B because I don't own any. However, I do own a pair of matched Rode NT5's and IMO they're really nice.

2 cents

Or for approx. the same cash....you could wait on the release of the stereo pair Studio Projects C4's in about 45 days....I believe the "bang for the buck" on these mics will be enormous.

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/c4.html

By the way...I'm a US citizen living in France and have purchased SP mics at US prices plus shipping (about $20) from Magic Audio in Atlanta. They DO have a shipping backlog because of the strikes however....

Simmons

I have four original AKG 451EB's. The newest of these I bought second hand about twelve years ago, when it was only three months old, and still in the original packaging. Upon comparing it to the three ex studio mics I'd purchased previously I found a rather dramatic difference between them all. Upon inspection I found the diaphragms in all the ex studio mics to be torn around the edge where they are glued to the capsule element.

I purchased four brand new CK1 capsule elements about two years ago for around $110 Australian ea. (About $65 USD). If I was considering purchasing a 451 I'd go for the second hand original versions with the interchangeable capsules and be prepared to replace the elements if neccessary to bring them up to spec. I've had no experience with the reissues or the Rodes.

However if the 451's tickle your fancy, then the originals, if you can find some in resonable condition within your price range, would be a far better investment in the long run. The same applies to any of the original classic AKG or Neumann mics... less so for the Rodes or any of the Asian mics.

I regularly have people asking me if I want to sell my 451's. While they are not a neutral sounding mic, they give that distinctive classic bright crisp sound on acoustic guitars and high hats etc.

But in reality... buy TWO of whatever YOU prefer the sound of!

YMMV ;)

Last edited:
SP..

I'd rather pay more money for something and have it last 'forever' as opposed to buy the cheap model and have it die,break, need to be repaired(hence my dislike for electrets)
...that said, the only Studio Projects stuff I own are a pair of VTB1 pre-amps..and they're definitely better than the Mackie's I'm used to..

..and I'd also feel really bad if the bigger companies that make the 'best' stuff went under because of companies cloning their gear and undercutting their prices by using offshore labor, manufacturing, etc...

however..sometimes, not everyone has the money to afford the more expensive gear..and if a piece of gear that costs far less can match the sonic performance of the more costly/bigger name gear...then it's logically worth checking out.

but, I bet that down the line, one will wind up buying the 'big name' gear eventually anyway...and if the cheaper stuff will survive..who knows?

just a few thoughts....

Nice thread! Guardian, BTW, I think you mistated the price of the Oktava MC012/MK012. Very good matched cardioid pairs are $424, more like $650 with all the capsules, or random $99 apiece at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend. As far as SD mics are concerned, I'd wait for the C-4, but if it follows suit, they'll be pricey in Europe. Myself, I would buy the Oktavas, I think, if I was in Europe. Are they available there, and if so, for how much?-Richie

"Damn the electrets, holy external polarization, Batman"

hmm

I looked briefly on the Sound Room guy's website, and grabbed the price for 2 non-matched cardiod only MC012's, and he's got them for $193 each..The multi-capsules are listed for $300 each..that's where I got that from..I paid $400 for a pair with all 3 capsules each from Ebay over the summer, and they all sound identical enough to me.

pisces -- since you're in Germany: get a pair of Neumann KM184. They are not that expensive (maybe Europ 600 for a matched pair if you look around). They're awesome! Stop looking, that's exactly what you need ;-)

An electret's loss of -0.45dB output per 7 years might be a deal-breaker.
I am sure pisces could afford a new mic in 7 years if we finally let him go, get any mic and record an album! ;-)

Back