Should I bother to buy this mic/pre or not?

kgirl72

Hi guys...I'm thinking of buying a Studio Projects T-3 and perhaps a RNP...just cause I feel like blowing some more cash. That will be a good chunk though, and I don't want to do something I don't need to. Here's the real question. I already own a C3 and a VTB-1. Should I buy the T-3? I am mainly going to be using for vocals, but may use for piano or something at some point. I've got other mics to use for that stuff...so I'm mainly curious about it for vocals, as it's really what I do.

Here you could go listen to some singing...
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3023&alid=-1

Not sure if you'd need that to help me out. I didn't do any kind of eq on this, but the tube on the VTB-1 may/may not have been on...most likely was...neither of these things on there had much planning involved in them, so who knows. They're just sketches for the most part.

Also, feel free to suggest anything else. It would actually be great if someone said, yes, don't spend that $1000 today, Kirstin, because it won't make any difference. I feel the urge to part with my money for some reason, but also an urge not to! Yikes.

Currently, the only LDC I own is this C3, so I am pretty green.

Thanks in advance.
Kirstin.

Kirsten,
I have the RNP and the T-3 combo and love it. When I was shopping I asked the question several times from distributers as well as fellow recordists whether it was worth getting the T-3 and the C-3 and the answer was they sound similar enough to where if you were looking for large variety no. if you wanted more of the same then yes.
The RNP is something I would still buy though. It is my favorite pre for acoustic sources. I need a second one myself for tracking drums. They are clean and have a lot of headroom.

Are you near Philadelphia?

That thousand dollars can get you ten hours with me in a brand new Cessna 172 SP...

Just the musings of an out of work jet pilot.

:D

Interesting...

Okay, I was thinking you guys might say something like this...why is it then, that some will say the C3 isn't so great for female voices sometimes, and that the T3 is very good on them? Any chance anyone will go listen and say whether that C3 seems to sound alright, or I should try something different, such as a (?)

Maybe the sound is good. I don't know--I'm learning. I agree about getting the RNP, however, because I only have that one channel, and my old Peavey mixer doesn't sound nearly as nice as one dedicated mic pre!

I'll keep checking this, though...would gladly take more opinions!

Thanks guys!
Kirstin

thats about $1000? together?.....you may wanna find a place that has a nice return policy because while you may find that its better than the C3/VTB1, it may not be $1000 different....

anyways, Id say youd get as good results with the Marshall MXLv77($299 i think) and almost as good with a Delta DMP3($119 at GC).......

but my last comment is this: if its gonna be mainly vocals, hold out until you find THE mic that fits your voice....evrything else can probably be done just as good or better with mics that you already have......give your vocals a gift.......

ok, just listened....nothing wrong with that sound.....

Id buy the RNP first and see how the extended highs help the C3. You might be able to save some money thta way. If the RNP doesnt help the C3 for your voice, then I would look at some mics that have a good reputation for female vocals.

Try looking at the AT4050 and the AT4047 while your looking for a new mic. Shop around and see what helps your voice, your style and your pocket book.

SoMm

tmix said:
Kirsten,
I have the RNP and the T-3 combo and love it. When I was shopping I asked the question several times from distributers as well as fellow recordists whether it was worth getting the T-3 and the C-3 and the answer was they sound similar enough to where if you were looking for large variety no. if you wanted more of the same then yes.
The RNP is something I would still buy though. It is my favorite pre for acoustic sources. I need a second one myself for tracking drums. They are clean and have a lot of headroom.

Tmix,

Im looking for examples of recordings where the T3 was used. Do you have any on the net? I own a C1. but Im thinking of getting the T3.

Thanks
Justin

The overall quality of your vocal tracks sound fine. Great, actually.

What you could improve is that reverb. There's a little too much of it, and it doesn't sound very good.

Kristen, take that money and get yourself a better reverb unit, and if you already have a good one, learn to tweak it so as to get better sounds out of it.

Then worry about mics and pres and so on.

Kirsten, great voice! Reminds me of the woman on the Pink FLoyd song.

I couldn't hear your new one though. My WinMedia couldn't play it. what format is it in?

kt
anyone else having problems or is it just my set up?

Nevermind, it works after I download it. I have the c3 also and think it's great on you. One thing that bugged me was the loud inhaling.

wooohh....just finished listening. SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH.

kt

Heavy panting...

Hey KT,

yeah, well, the loud inhaling would be bothersome. I didn't do one little bit of editing on this, and I'm sure it shows. I frankly don't really even know WTF I'm doing anyway. But, thank you very much. TexRoadkill sent me a PM and said he thought of PinkFloyd as well, which just rocks, cause though I can't remember that girl's name, I love her voice, and I love the feeling of those places where she is all over the place--and against those chord changes, she rocks. Well, not really rocks, but you know what I mean. it's sweet.

One thing that was pretty cool was that my boyfriend in KC sent me some mic cables that he made for me. I noticed that mine had some noise to them, and the ones he sent me are quiet as a mouse. I have no desire to really know what was going on with that electrically, but it was good to have some silence too.

Chess, I only have plug-in reverbs, and I don't really know what to do with them wholly yet, but what kind of outboard unit would you recommend...or if there is a plug-in that you would use, what would that be, and do you have a good recommendation of the settings I might want to try as a starting point?

Thanks, y'all,
Kirstin

Kirsten

The best way to find out if the mic/pre combo will be worth $1000 to YOU, is for YOU to check it out... :)

If $$ are burning holes in your pockets, then buy from a dealer with a good return policy (ALWAYS ASK WHEN IT COMES TO MICROPHONES) pick one up, and try it out. 8th St Music.com had a good return policy on mics last time I asked. Sam Ass did not...

For myself, the thoughts of the folks one this and other bbs are invaluable, but ultimately, I gotta get the thing up to my li'l 3rd floor studio and try it for a couple of sessions before I will really know if a piece of equipment is gonna work for me...

Everybody's different...

Hope that helps rather than confuses...

Tom

PS Loved the tunes...very soulful voice ya got there...

Yeah, I was just checking 8th street's return policies...they said nothing directly about mics, but the people there are nice and easy to get ahold of, so I could call them directly. I think there's like 4 people that work there anyway. They are who I bought my last mic/pre/compressor/soundcard from them.

it all makes sense. There is really no place here to buy this type of microphone. There are a couple of music places, but they tend to carry one or two brands, and they are don't generally carry those types geared to studios, but more live performing. Go figure. I will do what I can. I am not sure what I'll buy or not buy at this point, but may still get the pre just for the extra channels. I can think of a million things I'd like to buy. Not a problem, you know?

Thanks again,
Kirstin

And thanks for all the vocal compliments. I so appreciate that coming from someone who tends to be very shy about singing for others. You guys are helping me to "step out" if you will.

Re: Heavy panting...

kgirl72 said:
Chess, I only have plug-in reverbs, and I don't really know what to do with them wholly yet, but what kind of outboard unit would you recommend...or if there is a plug-in that you would use, what would that be, and do you have a good recommendation of the settings I might want to try as a starting point?

In general, plugin reverbs just don't cut it the way a good outboard verb does. If you have to go the plugin route, though, I'd say the Waves Renaissance Reverb (RVerb) is about the most usable one I can think of. As far as outboard reverbs go, I'd have a look at the following as good starting points:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...61013664094/g=rec/search/detail/base_id/82901

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--TCEMONEXL

If your budget allows, and you want the top-o-the-line, then I'd do a search and see what recommendations might come up.

As far as settings go, I would just go through the presets and find one you like and just start playing with the parameters and see what happens. You might want to start out with the basics like "size," "decay time," and "pre-delay." Longer pre-delay times can generally help keep things sounding a little more natural and less "washed out." A lot of it is experimentation, but overall, I would try and shoot for something a little more low-key. You have a great voice that doesn't need to be so awash in big-sounding reverb.

Justin

Justin,
Rather that capture this thread, email me your address here:
tmix@bigfoot.com
I have been recording with it since January, but haven't posted anything yet. I have a vocal / guitar song to post, and a full mix song I can post. They may be a little rough but you will get the idea.

Tom

I'm not hearing anything in that vocal that sounds like it needs additional cash thrown at it. Sounds pretty nice.

But Chessrock's right about the reverb. Mostly I think you just need less of it. It's bringing out your SSSS's a little too. Generally, hardware is still better, but plug-ins sure are convenient. Sonic Timeworks makes a nice reverb. Can also check this one. It's not bad, and it's free.

http://www.thedirectxfiles.com/manufacturers/anwida_dxrevlight.htm

tmix,

Hi. I sent you a message on your email...I'd like to hear that stuff as well. If you want to capture the thread, feel free, otherwise, I can do email too!

Thanks,
Kirstin

Back