Should I be able to get a "decent" vocal track out of this...

PFDarkside

I have a Shure SM-58, Bellairi (? - $100) single channel tube pre-amp and a two channel compressor. (It's the one that's blue and has a rotary knob for presets, vocals, percs, strings, guitars, etc... around $150)

Should I be able to get a decent vocal track out of this? If so, then I have to work on the singer, if not, then what do I need to add?

Yes...but don't think that if you plug everything in and set it up "right" and don't get what you want, that its automatically the singer's fault. You will need to experiment with mic placement/levels before you can start throwing blame around. ;)

The 58 will give you a more live sounding vocal then a large condensor. Dont expect a fat studio type of vocal sound.

The 58 is commonly used for live vocals.

PF, before I gave my Bellari MP105 to a friend, I used an Ebtech
"Hum Eliminator" (about $60) in the signal chain to reduce the amount
of 60hz AC hum from the unit. I also have the Presonus Blue Max
compressor you described and prefer it on presets #1 (ballads),
or #2 (uptempo songs). The SM58 is a classic mike for studio rock
vocals (wouldn't use it on an opera singer though!).
Some singers like Tom Petty and Paul Rodgers prefer its fraternal twin
the SM57 as it works better on their voice than the 58.
There is an interesting article at www.sospubs.co.uk/search
The title is "microphone makeover", where they talk about making a
dynamic mike sound more like a condenser through judicious use of EQ.

Ok... this is all beginning to make a bit more sense... The sound is definately a 'live" sound, and what I'm looking for IS a fat studio sound.

Yep, that's the compressor, and I used preset #1. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

:)

If you want to stay with inexpensive mics the SM57 is a little more mid rangy and more directional (more proximity effect). They are used mainly as cabinet mics but some people like them for vocals. I have one and they are a good workhorse mic to have around.

Back