Should EVERYTHING be recording just around 0db?

RFrecordings

I noticed when playing professional songs through my mixer, the levels are just around 0db, usually +2db. It almost never goes past that so my question is: should all my tracks be recored around this level?

I'm guessing you're talking about analog recording?
When you are recording and mixing, don't compare your mixes levels to that of other professional CDs. A LOT of things go into making a CD and when you are recording out of your house you're only at the beginning stages of what can be done in regards to levels.
That being said, most people recommend with an analog piece of gear that you get your levels to around 0dBVU. In digital however you want to stay away from zero so that you have headroom. That's the key word: headroom. So when recording digital get a strong enough signal so that you can hear it, but not too hot that you'll be afraid that you may clip when recording or when turning up the track. Where 0dBVU comes in digital at on your gear depends on the gear you're using.

Think of the digital meters like analog meters...don't think of 0 as at the top, think of it down about a third of the way. That way you'll be safe if you accidently go above it a bit.
Do a some searching around here about dBVU, dBFS, RMS, peak, or mastering

Seeing as how there's a FireWire mixer in your gear list, I'm assuming we're talking digital here, so....

If you're recording at 16-bit, then you do want to hit it fairly hot, somewhere between -6 and -3.

For 24-bit, you have significantly more headroom, and should try to hit around -12. Keep in mind that once you start mixing tracks together, the overall level will increase.

Pushing up the overall mix level is generally done during the mastering stage, not tracking/mixing.

I'd say track at lower levels....I try not to go above -6 myself. The sounds will all build up, and get really loud as you add tracks to a mix. Keep the overall somewhat quiet....it's easy to turn up the volume, or to boost the volume of a tune.

I normally try to stay around -10 or -12 when tracking and around -6 or -8 when mixing. (in 24 bit)... :D

my 2c

RFrecordings said:
I noticed when playing professional songs through my mixer, the levels are just around 0db, usually +2db. It almost never goes past that so my question is: should all my tracks be recored around this level?
I've imported tracks from pro CDs from Robben Ford, John Mayall, and many others into my DAW and discovered that song to song levels (by a single artist on CD) can vary and be all over the map in terms of consistent volume level... even to the extent of clipping. :confused:

0dBVU (normal, everyday, line level, "where the pros record," how they do it "downtown" etc.) is around -18dBFS. If you keep the meat of the signal around there, you almost can't go wrong. In 24-bit, there is absolutely no reason to go higher. In 16-bit, it's arguable. Personally, with decent converters, I might go just a *whisker* higher (but then again, I wouldn't record in 16-bit anyway).

This is how the gear is designed to work. Recording at -6 or -3dBFS is going WAY into the headroom of the preamps. You lose clarity, you lose focus, you add distortion and noise, you "pinch" the image, it makes the tracks harder to EQ later - All sorts of nastiness comes from tracking too hot.

Plus, after you track too hot, you have to turn all of those distorted, fuzzy, unclear tracks DOWN to a decent level (go figure, it'll probably be around -18 to -20dBFS) to mix. Seems like a waste, no? Or, you can start with a bunch of tracks that were recorded at the proper levels, and the mix almost takes care of itself. There's a reason for that...

i have got a question for you.. Hows that firewire mixer? Is it all working well? Whats the specs of your PC and does it allow you to stream all the inputs from the mixer via firewire to your PC or does the PC not allow it. i.e. doesnt manage it? Sorry for asking you a question when we are supposed to be answering them but you have allready got the answer above. :D cheers

Back