Shortcuts and simple fixes

Clam Soup

Project 49
I just recorded three tracks so far on my next song and I'm having an issue with one of the tracks - right near the end of the song no less. There is just some kind of tick/glitch that is giving me the finger - a bad signal from my pickup, or interference from outerspace... Is there a simple remedy for this (keep in mind you're talking to a technotard) or am I going to have to record that whole track over from scratch?

I've tried doing little paste over stuff, but that also causes pops for me.

Some DAWs have a pencil tool (it will be in the shape of a pencil) where you can manually go in and draw out something like that, zoom in until you find the problem wave and flatten it out and hope it doesn't mess the sound up. Also if you have another part like the one that is messed up just, copy and paste it in there. And then there is always doing it over. Shouldn't take that long if it's just one spot, just make sure your playing to a click and then do a small bit of the passage, then copy and paste in there or just do the whole take over.

Depending on what it is (if you posted the part we could tell) it may just be better to do it over. It's always best to do everything right from the beginning so your NOT trying to fix problems at the end.

Some DAWs have a pencil tool (it will be in the shape of a pencil) where you can manually go in and draw out something like that, zoom in until you find the problem wave and flatten it out and hope it doesn't mess the sound up. Also if you have another part like the one that is messed up just, copy and paste it in there. And then there is always doing it over. Shouldn't take that long if it's just one spot, just make sure your playing to a click and then do a small bit of the passage, then copy and paste in there or just do the whole take over.

Depending on what it is (if you posted the part we could tell) it may just be better to do it over. It's always best to do everything right from the beginning so your NOT trying to fix problems at the end.

I narrowed it down to a guitar track - I just deleted the whole thing and duplicated my second take.

Next time it happens, try downloading the 28 day free trial of Audition and use the "spot heal" tool (basically what Capt. Hair was calling a pencil tool) in spectral view. It's done some amazing fixes for me at times.

Next time it happens, try downloading the 28 day free trial of Audition and use the "spot heal" tool (basically what Capt. Hair was calling a pencil tool) in spectral view. It's done some amazing fixes for me at times.

I'll check that out too....

My cubase has a pencil thing, but I'm afraid to use it yet because I don't know how.... I'll learn it when it becomes unavoidable.

My cubase has a pencil thing, but I'm afraid to use it yet because I don't know how.... I'll learn it when it becomes unavoidable.

It's simple enough, you zoom in on the waveform and find the pop/noise/whatever. You'll be able to see it when your listening through. Take the pencil tool click at the beginning of the peak and then literally draw a line over to the other side of the peak wave. Somewhere near the middle or bottom of it.

It's simple enough, you zoom in on the waveform and find the pop/noise/whatever. You'll be able to see it when your listening through. Take the pencil tool click at the beginning of the peak and then literally draw a line over to the other side of the peak wave. Somewhere near the middle or bottom of it.

Awesome - I hope I never have to do it, but... I probably will.

Better to learn how to use it before it becomes may necessary/unavoidable, imo. If you wait until that point, you'll likely just frustrate yourself trying to learn it and use it properly at the same time.

I narrowed it down to a guitar track - I just deleted the whole thing and duplicated my second take.

No! You can either use carefull editing to get rid of the glitch or use a noise reduction plug-in like X-Click by Waves.

G

Back