short sketch

pglewis

Just a verse sketch, complete with flat vocals. Sensitive-guy soft-rock stuff, I guess. I'm still trying to get used to what I can and can't do with my voice, singing into the mic is still a bit new to me. Drumming is even newer to me, but I'm not as self-conscious about it.

My server has been wonky lately. It's probably best to right-click and use "save as...". If the server times-out, it usually picks up the DL where it left off. I still need to find a decent home for stuff.

The doubled vox worked great and the harmony I heard at :39 was a good move.....like the drum sound too...you need to finish this song, it's good....gibs

You know what they say.... 3rd time lucky... I got it on my third attempt!

The vocals sound great... no need to be shy about them. What mic/pre etc did you use on vocals - they sound really smooth!

Emeric... keep trying on this one... it's worth it!

Emeric: I think I'm just gonna fork out for a good web host in the next couple of months. I'm tired of lousy reliability.

Gibs: Drums were 2 mics: N/D 357B for kick; C-1000S about 5 feet in the air, pointed in the general direction of the snare. I almost always double the vocs where there aren't any harmonies. I've only done one or two things where I was comfortable with just one vocal sitting by itself. Thanks for the encouragement. I have a lot of arrangement ideas to try out.

Coop: I'm not sure I'm allowed to say this, but the vocs were done with a C-1000S through the Mackie preamps. No up front processing, I went direct to the 8/24. Track plug-ins: Cakewalk parametric EQ and Waves RCL. Also, some Freeverb on an Aux buss. Thanks for the diligence :).

Alright I finally got it.

And I like it. That's a pretty cool drum sound you got, as well as everything else, acoustics sound great. I'm gonna have to check out that freeverb, like the sound of it. Gotta very spacious sound going on.

Good job, finish it.

Maybe the trouble people are having is with that variable speed encoder. I've seen that problem before even in Vegas Pro. Winamp seems to handle it.
Too short a clip!!
The artist that comes to mind is ametth! Or Goo Goo Dolls.
Nice sound.

trying

I get a message that 'the server is refusing to fulfil your request'

It must know my ex!

foo

Emeric: I checked out the Listening Room, but I think I've decided to just pay for some good, reliable hosting. The acoustics were all with the C-1000 also-- only the kick and bass (direct) weren't recorded with it. It was already on the stand, and ready to go :). Actually, I could be a poster-child for how not to record. Strings are more than 4 months old (now with an electric 'D' in place of the 'G'), $200 Sigma guitar, AC blowing full blast including rattle from the vent, etc. With Freeverb, I liked it with the damping set pretty high-- the early reflections seemed to have that "digital-y" sound. I'm also blessed with hardwood floors and plaster walls, so some of it might actually be the room.

Doc: It's definitely my host... they've had these problems for almost a year now. It started as an intermittent thing, and now it's pretty much the rule and not the exception. Sometimes the server just cuts the active connection out of the blue. All tech support ever says is I need re-install windows *LOL*. They used to be impeccable before they were bought out. Heh heh, another dysfunctional relationship. I have a lot more of it hashed out, it's just my crappy drumming holding me back. Anyway, I hope to get a lot of stuff done this weekend if I don't get distracted by something shiny first.

foo: Sounds more like the coffee house I go to. Some days are better than others, thanks for givin' it a shot. I'll get off my laze arse and find a better home soon.

Whoa

pgl-

I downloaded succesfully on the first try.

This one's really good, man! Sorta puts me in the mind of Toad the Wet Sprocket, one of my faves:)

I agree with drstawl...this is way too short

Good job man!
_________
wawazzat?
I Nite Sky

Fantastic,

Loved the way you bent the acoustic chords.

Very spacious sounding.

GT

I listened to it a few times, and decided you are getting a very similar recorded sound quality, to Radio Head The Bends CD. I allways thought that CD had a distinct sound.

For what it's worth.

'Zzat: Thanks for the ears. I've already re-recorded everything... closer to pitch, this time. Tuning never seems to occur to me when I'm writing, and it was quite a bit sharp. Drove me buggy trying to work on it later. There more to it, but I have some things to iron out yet.

GT: I've gotten so used to the vibrato on the guitar that I don't even notice I'm doing it... sometimes I over do it. I think most of the drums on The Bends were with a kick mic and a single overhead. It does lend a certain "feel" to it. A pair of overheads would be nice for the seperation, though. I might try a pair of cheap dynamics just for the sake of experimentation.

The recording sounds great and the vocals are fine, no need to be paranoid about them. Good song.....Ray J

pglewis, I agree with Ray J... your vocals sound good... I used to be very shy with my vocals... and you can hear it in some of my earlier works... part of the problem is that I thought I sucked and the other part of the problem was I was concerned that my neighbors would hear me... so I would sing with less energy or less spirit and fix it with reverb and doubling and stuff... Lately, I just close my eyes and try to just let go with my singing now... regardless of the neighbors... although I still get the wife and kids out of the house for "sing-time"... Anyway, I like your vocals and that story I just said probably doesn't really fit in this situation... But I like your vocals and kind of want to hear this song with a few parts just your voice singular... double up in some parts and harmonize in others... (just opinions)... Sometimes when I record my vocals, I still cringe shortly after laying down the vocal tracks and listening to it right afterwards... but I noticed that if I lay down the vocals, then just walk away from it and go have a couple of smokes, a sandwich, whatever and clear my head from the music and the singing and junk, and then go back and listen to the music I just created 15 to 30 minutes ago, and just listen as if I've never heard it before, then it's sounds pretty damn good to my ears... If I don't do the "break away from it" thing, then I usually end up cringing from my vocals and then I do retake after retake until I'm too hoarse to sing anymore, or I might try and flood the vocal track with effects and stuff to try and compensate for the fact that my tired ears are saying "it sucks"...

Anyways, I really dig the sound you've got going on with this song... and I agree with everyone else... too short... finish this thing... damn good song.

Good start. You have a naturally intriguing voice. This can't be learned, taught or bought. I think that the vocals should be louder (or the guitar and drums softer) and that the last guitar chord of the phrase (the one with the vibrato) sounds kind of contrived. Good start.

This is great... I really like the guitar part... I don't think any of it sounds contrived. Good song, arresting voice -- it really casts a spell. Can't wait to hear the entire thing.

-AlChuck

Back