Short metal instrumental - need feedback on tones

Superhuman

Shagaholic
Hi All,
I spent a while working on this tune recently and now I can't 'hear' the wood for the trees. One or two guys including a friend of mine who is a better player than me (with about twice as much experience) have said that the lead tones were ear piercingly trebly - no low end or bass end. To my ears they sound fine - in fact I like the mix given my lack of experience in this area (its better than the last one which was better than the previous one etc!). The wah lead uses the full range of a CryBaby so it does get thin on one end and thick as hell on the other but it still sounds ol to me... then again I have hearing damage (seriously I do!).
Anyway, any feedback or tips on the sound would be appreciated. I know the delay is fairly big on the lead but I like it like this on this particular track - let me know if you think it sucks though.
Thanks

Track title: 'Distortion'
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showmp3.asp?mp3id=56080

This is weird--the page loads fine, but the player doesn't play! Nothing. I tried some of your other tunes, and nothing there either. (BTW--I'm on a Mac. Tried in both Safari and Firefox.)

I know I've listened to your stuff before, so I'm not sure what's going on...

Too bad. I looked forward to this one.

Thanks for trying, seems there was a problem with the host server. It's back up now, would love to hear what you think!

Cheers, just incase it doesnt work it may be a java or activeX update you're missing on your system - you can still get it by hitting the Download tab below.
Anyway, here is the soundclick version if the other doesnt work http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7003822&q=hi

I prefer Mp3unsigned because you can upload 320kbps as opposed to the 192 limit on soundclick - still gets compressed to bits through the players anyway though...

Might be worth trying stashbox as far as compression goes. You can even post wavs there.

I'll take a listen tonight if I get the chance.

I gotta tell 'ya--the mix worked for me too. I know what you're saying about not being able to "hear the wood" but in this genre I'm not sure you normally can. I think you've got good contrast between the rhythm & lead parts and they play nicely together.

I'd be concerned about your friends concern though--that it sounds too trebly. It didn't to me, but I'm on some bass heavy headphones. I'll listen again tonight on some real speakers.

Bass region is a bit thin (something around 80hz and "IMO"...) but it takes the Bass guitar/Bass drum frequencies.

L/R guitars and solo are pretty good, nothing wrong.

Ciro

Is there a bass guitar at all in this? Why does DIY metal always lack bass? Is all the focus on the guitar wankery? :o

The whole mix is kind of dark and dull. The rhythm guitars are muddy and lack crispness. They're just kind of there with no personality. They need some "air" bigtime. Programmed drums are fine, but these sound totally fake. Very robotic. Try to humanize them some. The lead sounds great to me, but that may be deceiving next to the iffy rhythms.

The song is cool as shit. Give it a better mix and do it some justice.

Good playing and cool song!

The lead gtr sounds fine, but too far back with the delay sound for my taste.
Rhythm gtrs sound muddy. They need to "chunk" I think. The drums are probably too "roomy" for this style. It sounds like everything was recorded direct. It just doesn't seem like anything is moving any air. The mix seems to be lacking high end, overall, though.

Back