dannykland

Here's a metal track I made! View attachment FORGOTTEN LUNCH v1.mp3

Gear:
Cubase 8
Superior Drummer 2
Scarlett 2i2
PODHD
HS7s

And I got my friend to play sax at his place through a pretty cheap LDC; I'm not exactly sure of the make, but I can find out.

I'm still relatively new to mixing and producing stuff at home so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sounds kinda wild and crazy. It's pretty cool, I like it. Reminds me of Frank Zappa for some reason. Mix sounds pretty well balanced on my cheapo office speakers

can't hear the snare at all. most of the kit sounds buried, actually. definitely interesting concept here though. just sounds like someone nudged the faders of the kit down accidentally :)

You mean you can't hear it that well? I will try and bring out the kit a bit more and repost. Thanks for the feedback!

There is some real good guitar playing going on. But I thought the guitar tone was way too fizzy. Some weird saxophone stuff going on.

A couple things stuck out to me as needing improvement: dynamics and the drums.

There is no punch to the song. Everything is at a near constant level.

The drums are pretty weak - particularly the snare and kick. The cymbals are a bit hissy - too much high end and not enough high-midrange.

Thanks! I will look into dialing back the distortion on my guitar tone on future tracks. Do you think I could remedy what you're referring to with some EQ cuts or something? I would like to avoid retracking if I can.

I don't know how to give the song more punch, I wanted it to be like one big punch, like a glimpse of a trainwreck or something.

I don't know how I can turn up the drums anymore, if I do they start clipping the stereo out. I guess I could turn everything down and then turn them up? I will fiddle with the cymbal EQ and see if I can cut some of the hiss.

I will be back with tweaks!

Sorry, but there is no trick I know of to de-fizz an over driven guitar. Most often, you'll find that problems are better fixed with a retrack than a "fix." Just the way it works. A guitar with less gain will naturally increase the punch of a mix as well.

If you're limiting the mix, I might back off of that as well.

I figured the best remedy would be retracking. Why can't there be a quick fix for everything?! /S

Do you know why less gain will give more punch? I've come across this sentiment before, but I don't understand why that would give the mix more punch. Is it because there are less frequencies in the guitar for the drums to cut through? Like more space for drum transients to pop?

I'm compressing the mix and have a limiter on the end of the signal chain to take care of little bumps here and there.

Tweaks might take a minute, especially if I have to retrack guitars -_-

Back