Shopping for trumpet mics

grahamware

That FAQ Guy
Greetings!

I'm trying to record songs done by my jazz combo in my basement. I was using an RS 33-3032 drum/bass mic for my trumpet, but came to conclusion last week that my sound was too thin, to the point of being nasal. I do play jazz trumpet, so I'm looking for a brighter sound, but because I'm in a small group, I don't want to stand out too much. This RS mic just isn't cutting it for me.

I'm looking for a recording mic for (jazz) trumpet under $100.
So far, it seems (through light-duty internet research) the SM-57 is the mic for me. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone-
Graham

I record a lot of Trombone, Trumpet and Saxaphone and have found the best 'all round' mic for the job is the Sennheiser e604.
I liek to use a LD condensor a little farther away from the bell sometimes just for a littel extra sparkle, like what your looking for.

Hope its helped.

Neil

I looked at some pictures of the Sennheiser and it looks almost identical to the mic I'm using. I know looks aren't everything, but I think there was a discussion here about RS 33-3032's and their similarity to e604s.

As for Harvey's tome of microphone knowledge, I have read bits and pieces of it. I appreciate it, and find it interesting; however, I haven't spent enough time studying it to be able to use its concepts in real-world applications (ie, buying mics).

Thanks guys. Any other thoughts? If anyone has experience with cheap-o trumpet mics, don't hesistate to write!

-Graham

That RS mic (I have 4) is a direct copy of the Senn E-604,mfg'd in the Phillipines for RS.It specs out very much like the E-604,so if you are unhappy with the sound of the RS mic on your trumpet,the E-604 isn't likely to have a significantly different sound.The high SPL handling abilities of the RS mic make it a natural for live-micing a horn,where you place it right in the bell.For a recording situation,try a large diaphragm mic positioned a couple of feet away,as Neil suggested.That was the best result I have had (on a tenor sax) lately.I set up 6 mics for the listening session,including the 33-3032,SM57 and several big diaphragm cardis.The best sound I had came from an MXL V67B followed by Rode NT1.The RS mic sounded very like the 57 but not as much bottom end.

I have had really good results with a V67. This recording is of a flugel horn, but if you want I'll try to get one of the trumpet up soon. The MXL V67 worked good on both though.

Give it a listen.

Also if you go to Harvey's forum prosoundweb.com this topic was dicussed but never really cam to much of a conclusion. I know that a large diaphram dynamic like an SM7, Sennhieser 421, or EV RE20 are good options as well.

Beezoboy

excellent.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

For now, I'm going to stick with what I have. I tried some different angles with my mic and I am somewhat more satisfied. Good ideas though.

heh I KNEW "e604" sounded familiar.

-Graham

grahamware,

Try some different mic placements, and give the mic some breathing room (at least 18" or more away). Are you all playing together in the same room at the same time, or can you overdub your part later on? Some of the low cost condenser mics might be an option here.

Beezoboy said:
I have had really good results with a V67. This recording is of a flugel horn, but if you want I'll try to get one of the trumpet up soon. The MXL V67 worked good on both though.

Give it a listen.

Beezoboy

Would you mind posting the reverb settings you used for that track? I like the dark verb sound you got... sounds right for a flugel.

I'd like to make note for my own use in the future.

Low cost condensors? intriguing!

Harvey,
I have played around with different mic angles a bit, but I haven't tried giving my RS mic some distance yet. I'll give that a shot.

Beezoboy,
Nice recording - good tone. I'll have to investigate the V67. Do see if you could get that trumpet recording up.

DJL I'll check up on the 421 too.

I just bought a Spirit Folio Notepad on ebay. Now that I have phantom power, I'll be able to try some condensors! Why stop spending when you've already started?

grahamware, you should answer ALL of Harvey's questions, becuase he may give you more insight if you do. I wouldn't pass up your window of opportunity if I was you. Hint, hint.

gotcha DJL (wink)

Harvey:

We are all playing in the same room at the same time. I don't think dubbing is a viable option - there's only 5 of us, and without me playing during a recording, the less experienced of our group might have some trouble "getting into the groove." We have a particular saxophone player (who is so enthusiastic the rest of us don't have the heart to boot him...yet) who depends on my cues to know where he's going.

I did try giving the mic more distance, and I liked what I heard compared to what I had before, though I'd still like more "body" in my sound. I also tried pointing the mic at an off angle, but I didn't like the result.

-Graham

How does the Audio Technica Pro 35 fit in here? I've heard people using them to record everything from Upright bass to Trumpet..

I used waves Rennaisance Reverb on the computer. The setting is called Large Hall 300. I tweaked it a bit I am sure. And I have a a bit more wet signal than dry I think. I don't really remember, sorry. That setting will get you close though.

Beezoboy

Back