Shockmount Questions

takk

1. I have a pair of SDC's I plan on using for drum overheads. They came with shockmounts that could be used in the x-y fashion, they get mounted on a cross-bar. I could alternatively mount them on separate booms without shockmounts in a spaced pair configuration. This is for rock drumming, which would be the prefered method?

2. I'm looking at an LDC mostly for vocals and it has the ooption of coming with a free shockmount or a free pop filter. What do you think would be the better choice?

Thanks in advance

Takk

takk said:
1. I have a pair of SDC's I plan on using for drum overheads. They came with shockmounts that could be used in the x-y fashion, they get mounted on a cross-bar. I could alternatively mount them on separate booms without shockmounts in a spaced pair configuration. This is for rock drumming, which would be the prefered method?

There are applications where I prefer spaced pair over x/y, but drum overheads isn't one of them. I would stick with the phase coherant x/y setup with the shockmounts. It's less prone to phase issues, and less prone to all those vibrations.

takk said:
2. I'm looking at an LDC mostly for vocals and it has the ooption of coming with a free shockmount or a free pop filter. What do you think would be the better choice?
Takk

You want both, so price pop filters and suitable shockmounts, and get whichever one is more expensive to buy seperately. The shockmount is probably it, and for sure it's easier to find a Pop filter than to find the right shockmount for your mic.

Also, Takk, coincedent (X-Y) placement allows you to use just one boom stand, and things get crowded enough around a drum kit as it is.-Richie

1 I use SDCs as drum overheads, and have not used shockmounts with them. Their absence has not been a problem. If you want to use a spaced pair, then go for it. I often put the the OH stands behind the drummer, with the SDCs pointing over eahc shoulder towards the snare.

2 I always use shockmounts with LDCs. That's because I can. I've not tried using them without. My first thought was to get the mike with the shockmount, because the mounts tend to be more expensive than pop filters. Any old bit of stocking over a coathanger will do for that.

Back