Shock-mounted PC road case

SpamBurglar

I just built a shock-mounted PC road case and wondered if anyone would be interested in the design.

My design goals were:

1. To be able to take my recording PC with me and not worry about the knocks and bumps that might kill the hard drive or other sensitive components. Shielding from the elements falls under this requirement.
2. To reduce the noises (fans, hard drives, etc) that eminate from my PC while recording. I was picking up those sounds on certain tracks.
3. Wanted the box to look good.

The box is vented to the outside and the vents have foam baffles in them to help control sound. The PC is suspended in the box with foam at the corners to protect from vibration and to keep the PC vibration from being transfered to the box structure.

It took me a week of working on it, but the end result is great. The only problem is weight - it is HEAVY with the PC in it. I put casters on it but loading/unloading from the car and steps are not fun with one person carrying.

sb

Well... I'm all thumbs when it comes to building things but I want those plans so I can get someone else to build me one! I've been wanting one of those for quite a long time.

Well, my D@MN scanner is crapping out on me and my digital cam won't work under NT (it's USB and, although I got a USB stack for NT, the Kodak drivers won't install!!). Very frustrating. :(

When I am able to get my uncooperative peripherals back in line, I will post the stuff to my i-drive. I have the sketches of the different parts of the box and will also post a few pics.

PC's suck, but I love them. Sometimes I would love to throw mine off of the roof, but I know I would break my neck trying to save it before it hit the ground!

sb

I didn't realize that there would be so much interest in this subject. I will post the sketches and scans of the layout tomorrow (Monday May 1) but the pics are still on hold.

sb

Back