Shipping to Canada

hongteck

Hi guys, I need your help. I'm bidding for a guitar on ebay. As some of you know I'm in Singapore so I would like to have it ship to a friend in Canada instead. My question is if my seller in the States face any problems shipping the guitar to Vancouver, Canada (eg. tax and other costs). Thanks !

I live in Canada and have purchased a couple of items via ebay from US. Quite simply, if the seller stipulates shipping to Canada, then enough said. Of course, you should e-mail seller to find out shipping cost to Canada.

As for the shipping costs, I just procured a strat on ebay from a seller in Vancouver. The cost to have it shipped to me (in Newfoundland - effectively about a fourth of the way around the globe) is twice what it would cost to have the same item shipped say from New York.

Hope this helps.

Just another point of info - Make sure they label accurately the contents on the shipping container. Don't label it 'musical equipment', label it exactly what it is. I don't think there are any duties on musical instruments, if there are they would be low. Maybe psmith66 can add info on this. I got messed around a few weeks ago by UPS. I ordered a few mic's from 8thstreet and they labeled the box 'music equipment'. Several calls to customs and with many additional charges incurred, I finally received shipment.

Stay away from UPS.....At all costs!

I was in LA about 5 weeks ago, and bought a limited edition strat (guitar), and had the store ship it....... UPS lost it!!!!! 3 weeks went by, and finally UPS called me and told me it's lost, and I should submit a claim...... So I cut my loses, and told the store, I haven't recieved my item, and to refund me..... They agreed.

The next day, I went out and bought a guitar here at home... not a limited edition strat, but a nice strat.... and the next morning, my guitar shows up, yes THE LOST ONE!!!!!!!

I accepted it, and paid the charges..... And now Im stuck with strats, although I love 'em both....

For Canada Im sure You WILL have to pay GST, on musical instruments, and there will be a brokers fee also........

Joe

Just to comment on a couple of things said above:

The "general" rule is that the Free Trade Agmt between Cda and US allows for tariff/duty free exchanges of musical gear (plus most everything else), therefore this shouldn't be an issue - but you may wish to ask the seller anyway. Actually, I've found that a good way to "assess" a seller is to see how quickly they respond to email queries, as well as the quality of info provided. Remember, they want you to bid on their item(s) and generally will provide you with any info they can.

I've only ordered a couple of things, neither of which was big in size (the strat doesn't have to cross the border). The latest was a SM57 and I had absolutely no problems. I'm sure there must be some Canadian forum guys (Blue Bear???) who have more ebay experience than me.

<< As for the shipping costs, I just procured a strat on ebay from a seller in Vancouver. The cost to have it shipped to me (in Newfoundland - effectively about a fourth of the way around the globe) is twice what it would cost to have the same item shipped >>

and how much would that be for a strat without case ?

Shipping cost was $50 CDN (about $30 US) for ground, fully insured. Latest US quote for strat (I think it was in the mid-west) was less than $20. Of course, the Cdn seller may have marked it up for his only "handling". In any case, I didn't think $30 (us) was unreasonable to have a strat shipped coast to coast, fully insured.

Back