Shipping in the cold

Ever been to a concert in mid winter in Canada, you think they truck the equipment in with heated trucks? Instruments are probably on the tour bus, but besides that, effects racks, consoles, etc all on trucks. Just like the ones UPS uses.

Ever been to a concert in mid winter in Canada, you think they truck the equipment in with heated trucks? Instruments are probably on the tour bus, but besides that, effects racks, consoles, etc all on trucks. Just like the ones UPS uses.

I got ya. Good point.

I only know this because I have been on tours where the instruments went on the buses and the equipment went on the trucks. This was in MN, WI, and IA, only thing that suffered from the really cold weather were the screens on some of the effects units sometimes it seemed like they would take forever for them to warm up enough so that they were readable.

I just had a laptop shipped to me in January. Didn't suffer any loss.

On the ships that I am on, most of the electronic rooms are the coldest on the ship.

It's a good idea to let these things warm up to room temp before powering them up... ever seen the cold glass of Ice Tea on a hot day...

I play music full time and our equipment spends every non playing night in the equipment truck, unheated. Drums, PA, everything except the axes and after 40 years we have never had a problem.
Your stuff will be fine. It is about 10 degrees here right now. I'm not fretting about it.

MOFO Pro said:
It's a good idea to let these things warm up to room temp before powering them up... ever seen the cold glass of Ice Tea on a hot day...

This is true, but you should actually let them warm to room temp, then give them some extra time. As this cold stuff warms up, moisture condenses, especially on all the metal parts. Once it get to room temp, the mositure will evaporate again, but if you put pwer through it first, you increase the risk of blasting something.

Daav

2catstew said:
I play music full time and our equipment spends every non playing night in the equipment truck, unheated. Drums, PA, everything except the axes and after 40 years we have never had a problem.
Your stuff will be fine. It is about 10 degrees here right now. I'm not fretting about it.

We keep all the equipment on 24/7, never turned off for 3 years. That's SSL consoles, Neve consoles, DM2000, control 24's, dozens and dozens of outboard gear, etc never turned off. Since there's quite a few vintage gear, we don't turn them off since that of course, off's the electricity running through the wires etc, and that eventually shortens life of the consoles & gear. Before the 3 years, they have been on for 5-6 years.

Mindset said:
We keep all the equipment on 24/7, never turned off for 3 years. That's SSL consoles, Neve consoles, DM2000, control 24's, dozens and dozens of outboard gear, etc never turned off. Since there's quite a few vintage gear, we don't turn them off since that of course, off's the electricity running through the wires etc, and that eventually shortens life of the consoles & gear. Before the 3 years, they have been on for 5-6 years.

You should start to think about the environment.

Solid state equipment will last much longer if left powered up... most of the wear and tear is from the thermal shock of power up surges... and will burn little power if not driven... Tube equipment, on the other hand, will power the plate with full voltage and add use hours to your tubes (inactive or not)... You may want to power these down...

Mindset said:

Your electric bill must be horrifying.

Back